Shim head to screw and nut conversion

Panos

I want to convert my 92 1100 shim head to screw and nut and i am shopping around for rockers , most of the used rockers i can find are very worn though , do they need to be hard welded to fit yoshi cams or should i look for new ones .

Also i read in the vault that some welding is required but doesn't mention where and i couldn't find a thread here describing the process .

Any advise ?

image.thumb.jpeg.f170a22ed91e251c6fc3a7d7894d6566.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Jdeac said:

I will have some rockers available when my replacement head turns up. Can get you some pics if you want. Can't recall the condition. As uve not looked at it for ages

That would be nice , thanks Jdeac .

20 minutes ago, colinworth79 said:

I've done a head the biggest problem is not the rockers it's the end float on the camshafts . The thrust faces need welding up then machining .

Can't see why? Tappet cams use same cam bearings, caps and sprockets with M head / cams having an additional bearing each that has no lateral locating function, so the two should function identically !

• Like 1

So i guess i will need a screw nut head at hand to compare/measurement to do this right ?

What about the rockers do they need hardwelded for aftermarket camshafts ?

The lack of camshafts for the shim head is why i want to do the conversion by the way .

Thanks for helping guys .

10 minutes ago, Jdeac said:

Could sort you the whole head out if it's needed. Not using it as there are cracks around the plug holes.

I don't know the answers to your other questions

I think i can source one locally for cheap , i am in Greece so the shipping cost is a question .

I will let you know thanks again Jdeac .

1 hour ago, colinworth79 said:

I've done a head the biggest problem is not the rockers it's the end float on the camshafts . The thrust faces need welding up then machining .

The shim head shares the rocker arms with some other oil cooled engines .

Jonnyonebump  did one and I recall him saying it was a lot of work. For something that you think is straightforward untill you start ..

Unless the head is super trick just buy a screw head and port it 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Can't see why? Tappet cams use same cam bearings, caps and sprockets with M head / cams having an additional bearing each that has no lateral locating function, so the two should function identically !

From memory it's only about 1.5mm difference .  No logical reason to alter the dimensions as you say .