Updated! Deep grooves in the clutch basket from the springs. Safe to continue?

My engine has rattled pretty loud so I started on the process of replacing the clutch basket springs but when I got the cover off and removed the worn springs this is what I was greeted with. Now can I just put it back together with new springs and send it or is this gonna be an issue?

I'm bought a set of springs and studs from suzuki performance parts. 

VideoCapture_20230521-184428.jpg

VideoCapture_20230521-184453.jpg

Edited by gorbys

I would get in there with a Dremel & blend them in a little to remove the high spots as that's the best you can do. It used to be normal practice to replace the outer plate with a billet item too as the standard plate was prone to flex. Doesn't seem to be done so much these days.

5 hours ago, TLRS said:

What does your gut say?

Not sure if you really risk anything with it. But the noise would bother me. Could mask other noises and be just annoying to live with.

My gut says there's isn't much to do about it, I guess someone could weld it but it would have to be machined afterwards I guess. I can't buy a new one since they're nla and even if I could I couldn't afford it at the moment. If I buy a second hand one there's no guarantee it doesn't have the exact same problems. 

Do you think it's gonna rattle even with new stiffer springs? 

5 hours ago, coombehouse said:

I would get in there with a Dremel & blend them in a little to remove the high spots as that's the best you can do. It used to be normal practice to replace the outer plate with a billet item too as the standard plate was prone to flex. Doesn't seem to be done so much these days.

I've read about that, I even saw a picture of the thin one on the flying banana website or whatever its called. But mine is thicker than the 2mm quoted on there. :S

6 hours ago, Duckndive said:

I think you mean rivets .."The ones you can buy are usually slightly oversize and you need to ream the holes for best fit " 

Yeah wish I knew that before, wasn't mentioned when I bought the kit and didn't come with any instructions or mentions of the fact. 

Bringing this back again now that I got a new second hand one, I've replaced the springs, there's no slack. But still it rattles. I noticed when I assembled it that there was considerable slack back and forth on the clutch hub sleeve, you could move it on the axle. So I'm thinking this might be where the rattle is coming from? I see you can still buy these so I assume it's a wear item? 

When rocking it back and fort I hear the same sort of high pitched pings that I hear with the engine running

16854871452408832934585494556806.jpg

• gorbys changed the title to Updated! Deep grooves in the clutch basket from the springs. Safe to continue?

Not sure if it should be called as a wear item but yes, the splines on the hub can wear loose over time.

There are two versions of the hub. Earlier is full aluminium and more prone to spline wear. Later one has steel insert in the center so it doesn't wear that easily. But sometimes the insert can get loose which naturally will cause quite significant rattle.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Arttu said:

Later one has steel insert in the center so it doesn't wear that easily. But sometimes the insert can get loose which naturally will cause quite significant rattle.

Got one sitting here with exactly that problem - minimal plate tooth wear on the actual hub, but steel insert is loose with visible gaps!

3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Got one sitting here with exactly that problem - minimal plate tooth wear on the actual hub, but steel insert is loose with visible gaps!

Thats what I saw on mine, there's visible gaps between the teeth when it's mounted on the axle shaft. 

I've ordered a new one but it's about a 14 day delivery time. 

I just hope that's the end of it, but why my luck.... We'll see...