Oil cooler. Up or down.

Pegleg

Connections at the side or the bottom mainly because if they're at the top you can't drain the oil out of the cooler when you're doing a service. It's also possible to get air trapped with some types of cooler due to the connectors protruding into the cooler and the way the feed/return hoses need to loop to connect. Routing the pipes neatly is much more difficult too.

Cooling wise they'll work either way.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Joseph said:

When doing a oil change with filter, it still leaves at least 1 liter of old oil in the engine, so emptying the 200ml from the cooler won't change much eitherway

O.o Not really sure what to say to that, other than it's nonsense.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Joseph said:

dunno, thats what the manuals say, give or take, depending on which engine is being serviced ?

I wonder if they're on about an oil change without filter? Even then there's nowhere in an engine that'd hold a litre (getting on for 2 pints) of oil. A few ml in the galleries, similar amount in the cam chest, a bit in crank drillings and the like, it just wouldn't add up to a litre. Maybe they're just being cautious with capacities in case people go by the amount rather than the level?

well tbh when changing oil i've never pre-measured the oil in a jug to match what the manual says, i've just added it to match the window level notch in the clutch cover. i know there's enough in a 5L tub to cover the oil change need, i just buy one and fill up.

but for example, the manual says, in terms of capacities, for a 750R

engine overhaul : 5.0L

oil change only : 3.6L

oil and filter change : 3.8L

thats 1.2L left inside, according to Suzuki-san ?

granted that must include the cooler capacity, approx 200-300ml ?

and then if you take the sump off, and then take the oil pump strainer off, i would say at least half a pint will dump out, i guess cause you're breaking some vacuum seal releasing this amount from the pump area ?

@george 1100said that he runs the engine for 5-10 sec once emptied of oil when he does his oil changes to make sure he gets it mostly all out.

I think fill to the level is how most people fill the oil, I certainly do. I just don't see a litre or more in the system, that half pint in the strainer and sump is about a quarter of a litre, so on the 750r figure you have there it still leaves almost a litre to go. 

My oil cooled bike has a 19 row main cooler (top fittings) and a smaller head cooler (in seat) and together they retain almost exactly 1 litre of oil when the oil is drained through the sump. To get it all out requires cooler removal.

• Like 4