Gsx1100 et rocker cover gasket

Just noticed oil is weeping from the rocker cover gasket all around the front half or so. I have bought a replacement (Athena)available from wemoto  but it doesn’t come with the 4 sealing washers I vaguely remember from the last time I fit ted a new gasket and which are also mentioned in the Haynes manual. Are these strictly necessary and if so what size and material are they?  I haven’t taken the cover off yet so just wanted to have everything needed together to do the job quickly. 

I forgot about the half moon rubbers. Can’t they be reused with a bit too f silicon if they haven’t totally hardened? The gasket I received has 4 holes larger than the rest, presumably for the locating dowels which if there are only 2 might suggest the gasket is usable either way round but it doesn’t look exactly the same either side. 

7D7FFBA3-BE8F-472A-99CA-BE1097B66E2A.jpeg

I think that may just be a slightly different way of making the same thing. If you Google image search for a Cometic rocker cover gasket you'll see that instead of those four large holes there's just a thin strip round the outside. The other difference you'll notice is Cometic use a little joint strip of material to keep the inner pieces in  line. Just different manufacturer's ways to acheive the same outcome.

Personally I'd replace the half moons unless they were recently fitted as I'd hate to have to pull it down again if they did leak.

1 hour ago, Hilko said:

I forgot about the half moon rubbers. Can’t they be reused with a bit too f silicon if they haven’t totally hardened? 

For the K@w@ Z900 they have aluminium aftermarket ones, i have never seen them for Suzuki.

Had some made for my GS1000 years ago, with a small lip on the inside to prevent them being pushed out.
Alas, the guy that made them stopped his business ..

Edited by Rijko
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...