1973 TS400 gets a second chance for city life.

Tired of the complex modern two strokes I have been finding parts for to keep them alive. I decided I needed something simple to rebuild to get myself back into enjoying working on bikes. And what could be easier than a big ass weed eater powered two stroke.

supermoto style…..image.thumb.jpeg.51a53aa5194576e301829b11f8e7b885.jpeg

anyone in the UK build pipes for these…?

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 14

Rims and spokes ordered…$$$$ O.o

also put myself in line for a new pipe from Jemco….

All of those parts are completely unnecessary to rebuild  this bike… which is why I bought those first.

Also working a deal on a TM400 cylinder and head for some added insanity.

• Like 1

New rear shocks, but will be same 13 inch dimension. Forks will get rebuilt with emulators, but not sure if I’ll change the spring or not yet. 
It will basically look restored when done other than the wheels and pipe….but should have a bit of a bite to it. Just a fun bike, and something to get me back into the mood of building bikes again. It’s an experiment more or less….not sure if it will be what I think I wanted until done.

• Like 1

The RM was later in the 70’s. Very different engine castings. RM had reed valves where the TM/TS was piston port design. The RM came from the race only TM, and the TM and TS are almost identical except for the cylinder.

the TM cylinder will give at least an extra 5-7HP, over the TS

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 2

Searching and buying parts I need is taking some time, as well as $$$ I had not planned ahead for. So while the project is setting, I decided to get my VJ23 out for the first time this year, and clear out some cobwebs.

image.thumb.jpeg.54725fbe3505f5f12460c658825adbe9.jpeg

TS400 / VJ23

Polar opposite’s as far as two stroke tech is concerned in almost every aspect.

Hopefully the TS/TM400 will be just as fun…..

• Like 3
On 5/31/2023 at 2:11 PM, busa1300 said:

The RM was later in the 70’s. Very different engine castings. RM had reed valves where the TM/TS was piston port design. The RM came from the race only TM, and the TM and TS are almost identical except for the cylinder.

the TM cylinder will give at least an extra 5-7HP, over the TS

The early RM's were piston ported, It was the early 80's when they went water cooled they then added the reed valves.

• 3 weeks later...

Engine is out….original piston still installed….all looks good but will be completely rebuilt regardless.

image.thumb.jpeg.87b098b76291e7f74ef6754ab91cdec1.jpeg

differences between TM and TS cylinders … bigger intake port on the TM

image.thumb.jpeg.315b76e27c3ebed5bcfbb5b624f691f8.jpeg

Taller deck height on the TS as well as the compression release valve and exhaust port flange. The TM and TS use the same piston and head, the lower deck on the TM is where the higher compression comes from.

image.thumb.jpeg.6f52819a67b22e27924b9320ece71031.jpeg

As well as bigger ports inside the TM400 cylinder compared to the TS400

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...