Breathers

Jeb

Hi,

.. after following the Hellcat build and seeing additional engine breathers added is there any point in reconnecting my top engine breather to the airbox? ...is it just there to keep the emissions chap happy?...I thought carbs liked cold air not hot???

It's a 1100f

Cheers 

I used to run crankcase breathers into the exhaust, less pressure inside the motor the better.

As for carbs the colder the better, the big green K had this to a tee with the air box feeds out front.

Heatshield and if you can make em fit, so of those Yoshimura style air ducts work well.

3 hours ago, BillyR said:

I used to run crankcase breathers into the exhaust, less pressure inside the motor the better.

Good until you get a backfire in the exhaust as the breather is full of volatile gases which could make a mess of the crankcases - you need to add a PCV to prevent this.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Good until you get a backfire in the exhaust as the breather is full of volatile gases which could make a mess of the crankcases - you need to add a PCV to prevent this.

Indeed, ive never had a breather on anything without one.

Is it a typical thing for breathers to smoke a lot more with fresh oil btw? Mine smokes quite a bit (and smells fkin horrible) after an oil change but seems to settle down after a while, I assume it's the more volatile compounds burning off... I hope it's not a case of the oil is spent by the time they've gone!

Edit: Currently venting to atmosphere, obvs. Might have a play with feeding it back into the intake if I can find some 2nd hand dual pods to avoid butchering mine.

Edited by Shill

Did you replace with the same oil? Ive seen stuff smoke more after mineral was replaced by synthetic, and its started burning a load of shite out. Or did you over fill it a tiny bit?

I wouldnt vent back into the intake, engines love cool air.

On 5/12/2023 at 9:17 AM, Gixer1460 said:

So having the carbs right behind a engine producing copious quantities of heat is ok?

Any 'heat' from a breather is negligiable and makes f**k all difference!

No, but unless you are going to turn the head around theres not much you can do about that other than such inventions as heatshields, cool air feeds etc..

Otherwise its a bit like scuba diving with a air feed coming from your bumhole, might be your kind of thing, but not mine.