Cell phone mounts

Get a mate with a bike that has standard handle bars and let him lead xD you can then just enjoy the ride ;) and it will be all his fault if it goes wrong :D

Must admit never had my phone on the handle bars, as I just don't trust them holders to keep my phone there and not going down the road after every bump and there's a lot of bumps in the roads in the UK >:(

• Like 1

I’ve got a US 92, same as your 91, and I’ve looked at mounting a small GPS unit and there’s really no room under the windscreen at all. I’m even running a double bubble. You could always mount it over the speedo. I just keep my phone in my pocket and pull over if I get too lost. Other option is some Bluetooth speakers in your helmet and listen to the GPS. 

1 hour ago, Upshotknothole said:

I’ve got a US 92, same as your 91, and I’ve looked at mounting a small GPS unit and there’s really no room under the windscreen at all. I’m even running a double bubble. You could always mount it over the speedo. I just keep my phone in my pocket and pull over if I get too lost. Other option is some Bluetooth speakers in your helmet and listen to the GPS. 

Funny you sat that I was thinking of mounting over the speedo

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wraith said:

Get a mate with a bike that has standard handle bars and let him lead xD you can then just enjoy the ride ;) and it will be all his fault if it goes wrong :D

Must admit never had my phone on the handle bars, as I just don't trust them holders to keep my phone there and not going down the road after every bump and there's a lot of bumps in the roads in the UK >:(

My bike in Florida is a Vulcan 1500 and I have it mounted to the handle bars  I love it there.. I don't know the area here in Canada at all so GPS is a must for me 

SAT NAV ?! I remember going to the French GP at Magny-Cours in '92 with nothing but a few notes on the side of a packet of Woodbine and the sun to guide us. Only got lost 12 times and had to turn back at the Spanish border twice, them were the days.

Bloody youth of today don't know they're born. xD

• Like 3
1 hour ago, bluedog59 said:

SAT NAV ?! I remember going to the French GP at Magny-Cours in '92 with nothing but a few notes on the side of a packet of Woodbine and the sun to guide us. Only got lost 12 times and had to turn back at the Spanish border twice, them were the days.

Bloody youth of today don't know they're born. xD

I'm with you on that one @bluedog59back I the early 80's about a dozen of us set off from North Wales for Donnington park one Saturday evening to watch an 8hr endurance race the following day, no fucker had a clue where it was but we soon found out that it wasn't in Donnington Shropshire!!!

Eventually arrived at our destination around 1 in the morning and looking back it seems that technology has taken the fun out of being totally lost, happy times we had and as a bonus most of us survived those great days.

Me and 2 mates went to the Bol at Ricard in 1991. You just went to Calais and then headed towards Paris and the south. The closer you got to the track the more bikes there were on the road until you just joined a big line of bikes heading towards the track. No maps needed :)

• Like 1

Getting "temporarily uncertain of your precise location" is all part of the fun. On one detour back from Magny-Cours we pulled over into a layby to ask two French bike cop where we were. After much laughing, they turned two pages in the map book "ici Monsieur". A quick confer between them and we were told to follow and they would put us back on course. What followed was a high speed 60 odd mile blast with two Brit registered bikes chasing two loony cops, blue lights and sirens all the way.

• Like 1

I've never used a satnav thing always been on the old type paper maps (old dispatched rider) but I can see how they are helpful, if you don't have regular fuel/petrol stations and only (like my bikes) have APX 100 ISH miles range on a tank of fuel in a place with a big expanse to travel you need to know how far you need to go.

Must say thow, a lot of the best riding roads I've found are ones I didn't intend to be on ;)

2 hours ago, wraith said:

I've never used a satnav thing always been on the old type paper maps (old dispatched rider) but I can see how they are helpful, if you don't have regular fuel/petrol stations and only (like my bikes) have APX 100 ISH miles range on a tank of fuel in a place with a big expanse to travel you need to know how far you need to go.

Must say thow, a lot of the best riding roads I've found are ones I didn't intend to be on ;)

Valid point    best rides of my life where places I could never find again if my life depended on it

• Like 1

I have Quadlock mounts on 3 of my bikes (the ones I use for distance).  Great system, 160+hp bikes and riding like an arse the phone is held tight. 

Heaps of options, Stem mounts, bar mounts etc etc. Options to add wireless chargers too. I won’t use anything else.

Doing 500+ mile days on big thirsty bikes I predominantly use google maps. Big help knowing distance to the next servo for fuel at a glance. Needed to find a bike shop in a town I didn’t know, it took me straight to the door. I used maps and pre written instructions for decades. Maps on my phone offers so much more and is quicker and easier to use. 

It’s never been a distraction and on local fun rides or with mates I just turn it off.  

Short version: The correct answer to the question. Quadlock. 

• Like 1
On 4/29/2023 at 1:02 AM, Dezza said:

i just write directions on a bit of paper, then stick it to the top yoke with a bit of sellotape: Oldskool O.o

931k’s (578 miles) to the pub on a Saturday for beer and pizza, naked bike with a pillion, same home on the Sunday.  I was a bit vague at 5am at work on the Monday morning though.

The bold numbers are distances to the next town as I was trying to minimise fuel stops. 

1-F5-CE381-4-A54-4002-B8-DA-3-A6-F91352-

AB1A4D5A-3138-42EF-A7C6-4AD93013EAAD.thumb.jpeg.40783ea02d8483cfd5e50fa6dd7c95d5.jpeg

Edited by Tony Nitrous
16 hours ago, Tony Nitrous said:

I have Quadlock mounts on 3 of my bikes (the ones I use for distance).  Great system, 160+hp bikes and riding like an arse the phone is held tight. 

Heaps of options, Stem mounts, bar mounts etc etc. Options to add wireless chargers too. I won’t use anything else.

Doing 500+ mile days on big thirsty bikes I predominantly use google maps. Big help knowing distance to the next servo for fuel at a glance. Needed to find a bike shop in a town I didn’t know, it took me straight to the door. I used maps and pre written instructions for decades. Maps on my phone offers so much more and is quicker and easier to use. 

It’s never been a distraction and on local fun rides or with mates I just turn it off.  

Thanks for your response buddy I'll look into the quadlock.

On 4/29/2023 at 10:10 PM, Tony Nitrous said:

What Tony Nitrous says. 

Quadlock for meIMG_5551.thumb.jpeg.350a861f4ed57c0a5575b1fadeaa2cce.jpeg 

IMG_5550.thumb.jpeg.24e2055263eb3963a548d1fc102ce5ae.jpeg

IMG_5549.thumb.jpeg.e4b6d6a065d796c202656c3d5d55699f.jpeg

• Like 1