Kat 1000/1100

Can anyone explain the oiling system to the generator casings of the above models? It looks like the feed comes from the crankcases into the cover, but the cover gallery is a blind hole! The pictures I've seen, show a splash feed from the top of the case somewhere. Why a splash feed? To cool rotor & stator? And, if pictures are correct, where's the orifice in the casing for the feed? I can't see one in my case! I have 4 cases that show ... Nowt! :/

1 hour ago, Swiss Toni said:

Can anyone explain the oiling system to the generator casings of the above models? It looks like the feed comes from the crankcases into the cover, but the cover gallery is a blind hole! The pictures I've seen, show a splash feed from the top of the case somewhere. Why a splash feed? To cool rotor & stator? And, if pictures are correct, where's the orifice in the casing for the feed? I can't see one in my case! I have 4 cases that show ... Nowt! :/

And don't be fooled into fitting a 750 cover without blocking the cover hole either 

• Like 1

I think the generator cover is used just to block the main oil gallery bore in the top case. As far as I recall there isn't any splash feed there. The main gallery supplies the crank bearings and head through head studs. As shown in diagram above.

6 minutes ago, Arttu said:

I think the generator cover is used just to block the main oil gallery bore in the top case. As far as I recall there isn't any splash feed there. The main gallery supplies the crank bearings and head through head studs. As shown in diagram above.

my 83 engine has a plug in the upper crank case thats held in place by the generator cover. 

1 hour ago, Swiss Toni said:

The German cover has the oil hole in a slightly different place, but as it doesn’t do anything, it’ll still be ok to fit? @DuckndiveBlock the hole in the end of the gallery like TonyGee’s?

Its  my understanding that  a 750 cover on an 1100 equals no oil to crank ...so based on that then yes you need to plug the hole in 1100 cases to retain oil pressure if fitting a 750 cover ...

That's assuming I,ve understood Joe Marshalls posts on faceache 9_9

Edited by Duckndive

@DuckndiveJoe seems to know his onions right enough!  I wasn’t too sure about plugging the gallery when using a different cover, so I’ll take a fresh look at the ones I have today. Might be able to make them work? Failing that, I’ll think about repairing the original. Fowlers have a NOS but, the price is scary … and I mean SCARY!!!:o

Edited by Swiss Toni