Widening Wheels, Tyre Profiles and Gearing

So a few weeks ago on Faceache a guy (in South Africa) was offering a pair of efe standard wheels, and the rear wheel had been widened to 5.5" to accomodate a 180 section tyre. So, I know theres a few companies in the UK who widen standard wheels and it got me wondering about having a standard efe rear wheel done. I'm not bothered about a 5.5" rim, a 4.5" rim with a 160 would be my choice.  But then tyre profiles comes into play, as standard its a 130/90-17, but you can fit a 140/80-17 on the standard rim, going to a 160 on a 4.5" would be either a 70 profile or a 60 section, obviously as you go to a lower profile it alters the gearing. I'm just pondering on this, any thoughts, or if someone has already done this, any info would be appreciated.

Edited by kja.busa
Fat fingers
1 hour ago, DAZ said:

Maybe you really want to keep the original style wheel , but surely it would be better to use say b6 wheels and get a better size for the front as well ? 

I prefer the look of the standard wheels, i have a pair of J/K Slingshot wheels spare but i like the older style wheel, and they are fairly light too. One converted to a 4.5" rim is the plan its just what effect it has on gearing and ride geight with the lower profile 160 tyre

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TonyGee said:

I think widening the original wheels is a good idea (if its possible) as it makes the bike more OEM but with the benefit of better tyres.  but far easier to fit modern wheels. :tu 

Agreed it is easier to fit a Slingshot wheel, but I think it woild be better modding the standard wheel

3 hours ago, kja.busa said:

I prefer the look of the standard wheels, i have a pair of J/K Slingshot wheels spare but i like the older style wheel, and they are fairly light too. One converted to a 4.5" rim is the plan its just what effect it has on gearing and ride geight with the lower profile 160 tyre

I too am a fan of keeping the look of the standard EFE wheels with a wider rim.

I've mentioned on this site previously that I'd seen some at Stafford a few years back on a couple of z1300's and they looked like they'd left the factory like that, whoever did the mod it was very neat job.

On 3/19/2023 at 2:04 PM, kja.busa said:

If you Google gearing commander, it provides all you need to know. As well as changing sprocket sizes, it also allows the input of different wheel & tyre combinations & shows the difference to standard.

• Like 1