I wonder if …

I don’t know if any of you have a carry-on when assembling crankcases together. Trying to get the selector forks in the right grooves, trying to push them into place while one handedly holding the cases apart, all the time bearing in mind, the sealant is ‘going off’?

Well. I wondered if it could be made easier?

What I did was, remove the gear change shaft, (no need to pull it out completely, just disengage it from the selector drum pinion). Remove the selector fork shaft lock plate, shaft and selector forks Drop the forks into their correct position, in the upper case clusters. Put the cases together. Then, it’s a simple matter of lining up the forks, through the sump, from right to left individually, and sliding the shaft in gently, remembering to place the selector drum in the neutral position.  9_9

Ten times easier (for me, at least).

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 7

When I'm putting forks together I like to keep the finish nice. And yokes tend to be tight. What I do is block the groove. Then screw a bolt in from the wrong end (yoke permitting) and gently push against that blockage. This way the yoke can be opened ever so slightly. This makes it much easier to install the leg. Keep it tight enough and it'll still hold the leg when you run of for beer/tea/tools etc.

Obviously if you overdo it then pang, yoke ruined. So be warned y'all.