Cam to cam oil lines

Alex

Hello all. I’ve seen a few different ways of doing cam to cam oil feed set ups over the years. I’ve never done it to my bike (mk1 1200) and never had any trouble with it. Now I’m on a current build of a 1200 motor, it’s 1216cc 11-1 pistons / big valves / ape springs / Kent reground cams / ported , but is it really worth doing the cam links? Thanks in advance alex.

I remember reading on here that they’re mainly bling, especially back in the old 90s era street fighter builds. Really only needed when doing extremely big displacement builds that can cut into oil passages in the block. I have a set that I’ve ran for a bit, but then removed. Might use them again at some point, but always just been bling on my bikes. I’m sure someone with more knowledge will come along shortly. 

The ones that just go from one cam to the other are just really bling, if you want more oil up around the cams you need to get one of the kits that take off from the bottom oil way (under ATU cover) and goes up to the cams, or one that picks up off the side bolt on the cam cover.

Some will say the cam to cam links do give a bit more oil around the cams but I can't say for 100% on that.

Some peeps will be agast using the oil port on the side of the head as this is from the low pressure cooler circuit - my big engine uses this with no drama's so far but other than that I can't comment on longevity! As i'm using the below the barrel main gallery for the turbo supply, I don't really want to draw more oil away from that and the crank & rod bearings.

• Like 1

I’ve never seen cam to cam oil lines.

The plugs most folk use don’t feed directly to the cams, without a feed from lower in the motor they also do nothing except add weight, places to leak and bling that identifies they as pointless bolt on tat. 

Edit: Not sure I should link to another forum, but….

9083F6D6-5D5A-4DFF-86EE-1ED79895D88D.jpeg

Edited by Tony Nitrous
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Duckndive said:

TBH unless you have a Big Block and have to run an External Feed

With the amount of oil sloshing around inside the cam cover i don't see the point...;)

:L he's right you know. Be a lot better of running a head cooler instead. More cooling, more oil, win win :tu

• Like 3
On 3/9/2023 at 8:22 PM, Gixer1460 said:

Some peeps will be agast using the oil port on the side of the head as this is from the low pressure cooler circuit - my big engine uses this with no drama's so far but other than that I can't comment on longevity! As i'm using the below the barrel main gallery for the turbo supply, I don't really want to draw more oil away from that and the crank & rod bearings.

So there is high pressure and low pressure oil in the head.? Guessing high pressure is for the cams?

Thanks for your thoughts. So I gather the  cam link set up taking the port under the timing cover just gives that “belt and braces” flow of oil to the cam journals. Putting an inline rad on the “splash side” helps with head cooling. 

• Like 1