Setting valve clearance with a Dynatek kit

Zixxer

Hello lads bit of a dumb question but just wanted to be sure about a couple of issues before doing valve clearance adjustment on my 1987 Slabby 1100.

The bike has a Dynatek ignition system with the aftermarket blue plate with the pickup coils under the ignition cover.

If anybody is familiar with this setup I’d like to ask how you know the cams are in the correct position without the little T mark that is on the oem plate?

Also how do you turn the engine over without the 19mm nut on the original setup? The Dynatek one is just a round shape 

Thanks 

Just turn the motor over until the cam follower sits on the base circle of the cam lobe. You don't need to look at any timing marks or anything, just do them one at a time. The other tip is to use 2 sets of feeler gauges, put one in the side you aren't adjusting while you set the other. Then leave the gauge in that one & go back to the first one & set the correct clearance. It seems to make for more consistent adjustment. Not my idea though, I stole it from somewhere years ago. 

Edited by coombehouse
  • Like 5