Cracks around plug hole on head

TiZiK

Need some feedback from the hive. Looking to buy a cylinder head that’s outfitted with oversized valves and bronze seats with some porting. 
One cylinder has some cracks around the sparkplug hole. 
Is this easily repairable?

One crack is pretty much right to the seat. Will the seat have to be removed to weld it?

What would be involved with a repair like this?

I really want this head for my turbo slabby but am hesitant due to the cracks. 

AA5D5EEF-D86D-4A70-9826-38795802E434.jpeg

Edited by TiZiK
Typo
11 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Seen plenty of cracked heads GSX and GSXR used on the street and in racing and not one ever had a seat move or cause a problem other than looking ugly!

Good to know. So no risk of the seat moving?

I guess having my welder do a small pass to close them up wouldn’t hurt?

it’s a good chunk of change the guy is asking but it really is needed with my build. 85mm block and stock valves would be the limiting factor I’d think.

appreciate the input

….or just find a good stock head … send it out for all the machine work and porting …. new seats, bigger valves etc etc …. and perhaps that will give you peace of mind  ?….until that very same head develops cracks as well . All those cracks are surface cracks that are in a very narrow portion of the casting … thermal expansion and contraction is what causes the cracks .  I had a draw through turbo gsxr with a complete worked head ….water/merh injection ….and all the fancy junk to go fast….. at some point a piston shat itself and upon dissassembly …. guess what …. the head had 2 chambers with small cracks ….. the motor was rebuilt and when on running like a shitty drawthrough does…. made good power and those little cracks did not change a thing .

DC5AE75F-B6A7-4554-AB72-B7D715B3CC31.jpeg

Edited by no class
  • Like 2