Does anyone know how much hose I need for an oil cooler setup?

gorbys

4 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Two metres 'may' do it but you'll kick yourself if you are short!

I found some -8 AN lines leftover from a datsun project that I can make use of along with two 90 degree bends.  Money saved! 

-8 isn't to big is it? I see suzuki performance parts oil cooler kit uses -6 lines.

And according to my phones chargin cable 1 meter is  enough if you run one line around each side but might be a bit short for one of them if you run both around the same side.

Mount the cooler and attach the fittings, then you'll know if you have enough hose or not. If not you'll be able to order the exact length of hose and/or extra fittings required. AN8 is fine for a main cooler. If you need more hose ask the bloke at Torques (on eba@y) for the amount needed and he'll sell you that length:).

2 hours ago, Isleoman said:

On a GS or GSX1100 what's the advantage over using the oil cooler ports below the oil filter cover?  Are the EFE oil filter covers that re-direct the flow no longer available?  

Well, I wasn't aware the gsx engine already had ports for an oil cooler. Hence my wording. But since I found that out earlier today I'll be using those ports instead of buying the adapter. That saves me even more money. 

I don't know about the availability of the EFE oil filter covers but a plug could be easily turned on a lathe.  

• Like 1
On 2/27/2023 at 5:37 AM, gorbys said:

Well, I wasn't aware the gsx engine already had ports for an oil cooler. Hence my wording. But since I found that out earlier today I'll be using those ports instead of buying the adapter. That saves me even more money. 

I don't know about the availability of the EFE oil filter covers but a plug could be easily turned on a lathe.  

if youre using the take off points on the front of the cases, you need to restrict the oil flow under the oil filter cover, you can either use a plug that blocks off the oilway and forces the oil round the cooler  (though youll need to put a small hole up the middle, aprox 2mm as a bypass in case of the filter being clogged) or else use an efe filter cover that has the restrictor built into it.

21 hours ago, johnr said:

if youre using the take off points on the front of the cases, you need to restrict the oil flow under the oil filter cover, you can either use a plug that blocks off the oilway and forces the oil round the cooler  (though youll need to put a small hole up the middle, aprox 2mm as a bypass in case of the filter being clogged) or else use an efe filter cover that has the restrictor built into it.

I plan on having a plug turned its probably gonna be easier than trying to source a efe cover. I need to fix the clutch basket springs and theres still -3C outside so I have the downtime available :P

• 2 weeks later...

Measured yesterday and from the takeoff point and up to where my horn is mounted (which is where I'll mount the cooler) I'll need about 40-45 cm. So a meter is enough too make both hoses. The adapters and fittings make up a fair amount of cm's too.