gsx 750 e wheel question

travelfreak

Hello. Few days ago I found myself with a bone stock 1982 gsx 750 e. The bike I got is in relatively ok condition but I'm thinking about doing some light modifications to it so I started looking up some images online when I stumbled upon this. Does anyone have ideas about what wheels were used in the picture below? And since I'm new to the zuki world I would highly appreciate information on fitting these kind of wheels to a stock gsx. I know the one in this picture has a different fork and an aluminium swing arm. Would these kind of wheels be able to be fitted on the stock fork and iron swing arm? I believe the wheels are from a newer gsx-r of some kind. Thanks.

0fdc0a59-20eb-4f2a-ac54-07f713ba29cb.jpg

• Like 1

anything is possible but depends on your skill set !!!!   i dont think a gsxr or 1200 bandit wheel will fit in the swingarm as they are 180mm wide ???  maybe a bandit 600 would be better as they are 150/160mm wide.  better to change the swinger as well, then theirs the offset for the chain to sort out as well as brakes. a complete front end is also a better option with thicker forks and better brakes.  its all gona cost as well !!!!!

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

anything is possible but depends on your skill set !!!!   i dont think a gsxr or 1200 bandit wheel will fit in the swingarm as they are 180mm wide ???  maybe a bandit 600 would be better as they are 150/160mm wide.  better to change the swinger as well, then theirs the offset for the chain to sort out as well as brakes. a complete front end is also a better option with thicker forks and better brakes.  its all gona cost as well !!!!!

Thanks for the information! Yeah this is what I was wondering. I know the fork in that picture is from a XJR but I have no idea which swingarms fit these bikes. The aluminium one would be a nice upgrade also. Any information on that would be really helpful too!

10 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

then an 1100 engine and different tail unit (GS1000) and GS 750 side panels

20220707_142808.jpg

wow what a change! I'm also looking to upgrade mine but the information on modding these bikes seems to be quite sparse. One of the biggest concerns I have is getting the sprocket and brake disc align correct when bolting on wheels from a different bike. I do have some experience working on bikes but the thing is that I want to get it ready for the upcoming summer. I also happen to have a whole car project going on at the same time so I don't want to blow up the bike into too big of a project in itself.

On 2/24/2023 at 1:24 AM, TonyGee said:

I think the best idea would ride the bike through the summer and enjoy it,  then you can gather the bits you need and do a winter project.  their is a mine of info on this site to help you if you go through the project section. and don't be afraid to ask questions :tu  

That's good advice. Could be wise for me to get a feel for the bike as stock and then decide on the scale of mods. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi And welcome to OSS,

Bit late to your questions and as above lots can be done and lots of project builds on these bikes in the project section (katana is a very similar frame, so have a look at them as well).

As @TonyGeesays, if you have another project on the go and want the bike for summer, I'd ride the bike as is this year have a good look around, ask all the questions you want/need even the daft ones, we will always help. 

the thing with these projects, is just a small thing like changing the wheels will lead to other bits and can and will take time up especially if you're learning as you go.

so get your car done, ride the bike, sort out where you want to go, get the bits then when the colder weather starts you can devote your time to the bike without a pushed time limit (y)

Edited by wraith
  • Like 2