TurboGS and Bruteforce are back

A little history on the build of my TurboGS. :pimp:

This starts way back in 2003 when I got a GS750 as a gift from a buddy of mine. Ofcourse it made no sense to refit the GS750 lump, so a GSX1100S engine was puchased and fitted with a Wiseco 1168cc big-bore kit. It made 120bhp at the wheel.

GSX1200old1_zps9wywnae1.jpg

Then I got overtaken by a standard modern 600 so I thought I'd be a good idea to fit a turbo under the seat in Yamaha 650 TurboSeca style. Now I didn't get overtaken anymore. It started life at 160bhp in 2005 with a VNT turbo...

029_zpsasflg9bx.jpg

...and eventually made 210bhp and 220Nm at the wheel in 2007 on a KKK k-04.

A%20new%20paintjob%20008_zpsb8bi0pjz.jpg

Then someone offered me a slabby GSXR1100 for silly money so I changed direction completely and turboed that the "proper" way with a front mounted turbo, alas on standard pistons and bore.

showdown%20002_zps7qp3qeux.jpg

showdown%20005_zpsk3glvpnz.jpg

The GSXR turned out to be cheap for a reason: the engine was very very bad and this meant that it kept letting me down time and again for years to follow.

But in the meantime I preferred the GS looks so I built a new TurboGS for it, based on a GS550 frame after I saw one fitted with an oilboiler 1100 at Santa Pod. It is now 2009 and it became 1195cc on very low CR busa pistons.

AMA%20looks%20003_zpsxtiycly5.jpg

AMA%20looks%20006_zpsvrdg4yf8.jpg

So I ran it for a couple of years still struggling to get decent reliable power from it, went to meetings on it but not much else.

Then in 2014 I badly damaged the engine on a high-speed run so it was time to completely rebuild the motor. It still looks the same, but now has a revised head with new valvesprings, new busa pistons and bores, corrected camtiming, block skimmed for 1mm squish and 1:8.7 CR, restrictor in the turbo oilfeed and a new turbo scavenge pump running off the crank end. This was done because the engine apparently was starved of oil at some point and I blame the old restricted membrane scavenging system.

We're back for the 2016 season!

Edited by bruteforce
  • Like 13
  • 2 weeks later...

At the moment I'm trying to get a crank-driven scavenging pump to work well. It seems to be a bit small to be able to get the hot frothy oil back up. But the engine rebuild has been fully completed and all else it needs are new floatneedles and seats. No other projects I'm afraid, still considering EFi but not sure it will bring me more than a good set of carbs will.

• Like 1