600 bandit carbs running on pod filters

Stanman

20 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

So how do you explain a Dual Pod equipped GSXR1100 working fine with just the addition of a DJ kit ?

Yes, a DJ kit modifies the way the slide responds but doesn't require intake 'modification' of airflow.

Just turn the rubbers upside down then you aren't wedging the foam against the frame ? :tu

And forgive me for noticing but the carbs in the pictures above are slide types so will virtually function quite well without any sort of induction modification IMO. ;)

I was replying to a post regarding Bandit6 carbs, on a thread about Bandit 6 carbs.
The issue seems to be much more prevalent on bandit 6's for some reason.

Seen plenty of GSXR11's with Dual Pod K&N and they were just fine.

But a GSXR1100 is not a Bandit600.

Edited by Devilman
19 hours ago, bluedog59 said:

The airbox rubbers form part of the tuned inlet tract length in much the same way as exhaust lengths, pressure pulses travel up and down the tract and reflect off the open end or the end cap on a pod filter. This can play havoc with the jetting ( LC Yamaha's suffered from this until the late Leon Moss developed a spacer to move the K+N backwards to correct it). It's worth noting that the rubbers also project into the airbox to allow air to be drawn from all round so running stock rubbers with a sock filter over them will help everything work in harmony. 

Yantosh's set up above is a good example. The important bit is the length to the end of the rubber is maintained and the foam end of the filter will not give a surface for a pulse to reflect off.

There's a name from the past,Leon Moss' ledar kits were great back in the 80's hard to get a bit 4 to run pod filters back then without one of his kits,seem to remember him doing articles for performance bike magazine ( I think it was PB). Great loss so much knowledge, I read that he worked for brm formula 1 team way back, 

19 minutes ago, davecara said:

@gsxr884was doing some work to resurrect the LeDar kits if I remember right?

Well there probably is a (all be it limited) market for them,it seems many older bikes are being restored or restomodded  and obviously a lack of original exhausts and air boxes create that need plus how many dyno operators are used to carbs these days most bikes have had fi for 15+ years and if they do know how to make them work many would how many would  pay 2 or 3 times the price of a kit ? I know I've used and been happy with dj kits in the past

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 8:41 PM, Dezza said:

My efe engined bike still runs a 1980s LeDAR kit in its otherwise stock BS36 carbs. A whole lot cheaper and simpler than a Dynorod kit, and the bike runs perfectly without the airbox and a 4 into 1. Unfortunately Leon Moss died before he got round to doing kits for GSXRs :(

Leon did do kits for GXR's, he used my mates 750K to do an exhaust and carb kit, the carb kits are a lot more involved than just being a simple ACK though. He did an 1100K for Mark Forsythe too. He did 750 Slabbies too but I don't recall what they needed. Summer 1990 when he died, I remember it like it was yesterday :( 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gsxr884 said:

Leon did do kits for GXR's, he used my mates 750K to do an exhaust and carb kit, the carb kits are a lot more involved than just being a simple ACK though. He did an 1100K for Mark Forsythe too. He did 750 Slabbies too but I don't recall what they needed. Summer 1990 when he died, I remember it like it was yesterday :( 

That is interesting. I don't remember Ledar kits for oilcooled Suzukis being widely available at the time but maybe it didn't register as I didn't have one then.