600 bandit carbs running on pod filters

Stanman

Hi, I guess you have been asked this loads of times so forgive me for asking again.

I have a 96 gsx600f I would like to run it on pod filters, years ago I asked the same question and someone just told me to change the main jet to a certain size, (???)  this worked fine first time.

Would anyone know the best settings for the carbs to run well on filters please?

Many thanks.

Edited by Stanman

Couldn't really say what size jet you would need , dynojet offer a kit that includes jets and needles to suit pod filters not everyone is a fan of these kits and will tell you every engine needs tuning individually but every factory bike is jetted the same and I've used a kit on my old 1200 bandit an tbh it ran mighty fine 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

first question should be what bike?

GSX600F or Bandit?

Agree but it's pretty much the same engine and apart from the 88/89 teapots I think many 90's models shared the same 32 BST carbs, mk2 bandits and baboons arse teapots may vary possibly BSR with tps sensors like the 1200 bandit,but dyno jet kit is available for all I believe if that's the way stanman wishes to go 

Edited by DAZ
Bleeding predictive text

Pods often don't run well on CV carbs due to the way they attach to the carbs. 

Depending on any step at the mouth where they join the carbs. 

If there is no step they will be OK.

I've bullt several specials with CVs not a Bandit, but they had CVs and one set of pods would have a huge flat spot that no amount of. Rejetting would ever be able to fix. 

Suggest. You find out what pods others are using with some success 

23 minutes ago, yantosh said:

i've used the standard airbox rubbers with twin ramair foam filters on loads of builds, fi, carbs, water cooled , oil boilers ... always worked, every time 

this is a 750, in a bandit 6 frame , foam filters and airbox rubbers , ran great on dyno and real world 

bandikat.jpg

Damn that looks nice with the katana fairing,what's the seat ? Ducati monster ? Nice choice of baby blue too :tu

• Like 1
9 hours ago, yantosh said:

i've used the standard airbox rubbers with twin ramair foam filters on loads of builds, fi, carbs, water cooled , oil boilers ... always worked, every time 

this is a 750, in a bandit 6 frame , foam filters and airbox rubbers , ran great on dyno and real world 

bandikat.jpg

Great idea! 

Can you take a pic? 

Close up? If I get you straight the air box rubbers run inside the foam filters or?? 

Same - everything I read when trying to find new pods for the gsx / 600 thing said bandit 600s run crap on them. Was gonna go with ramair foamies, but was too tight to pay £20 odd a filter. Got some new cheapyish ones like that were on there and we’ll see.

if space is an issue there were some universal real slim line ones on the net, but who knows what quality they are

18 hours ago, Archie said:

Same - everything I read when trying to find new pods for the gsx / 600 thing said bandit 600s run crap on them. Was gonna go with ramair foamies, but was too tight to pay £20 odd a filter. Got some new cheapyish ones like that were on there and we’ll see.

if space is an issue there were some universal real slim line ones on the net, but who knows what quality they are

The pod filters in-and-of themselves are not really the problem.

The real problem is that 99% of the time when someone fits pods, they stick them straight onto the carb mouth removing / disposing of the rubber "velocity stacks" that are built into the stock airbox-to-carb rubbers. (K&N Dual Pods are very notable for this, there simply is not enough room to use the stock airbox rubbers)

As shown by @yantoshabove, if you include the rubbers from the airbox (and with the right foam filters) it greatly helps with getting them to run nice (y)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 1:22 PM, Devilman said:

The pod filters in-and-of themselves are not really the problem.

The real problem is that 99% of the time when someone fits pods, they stick them straight onto the carb mouth removing / disposing of the rubber "velocity stacks" that are built into the stock airbox-to-carb rubbers. (K&N Dual Pods are very notable for this, there simply is not enough room to use the stock airbox rubbers)

As shown by @yantoshabove, if you include the rubbers from the airbox (and with the right foam filters) it greatly helps with getting them to run nice (y)

Well I agree, however many pod type filters actually come with those fittings and using the rubbers can be tough with some filters that are supplied.... CV carbs don't work the same as slide carbs they must have smooth air at the lip

On 2/9/2023 at 1:22 PM, Devilman said:

So how do you explain a Dual Pod equipped GSXR1100 working fine with just the addition of a DJ kit ?

Yes, a DJ kit modifies the way the slide responds but doesn't require intake 'modification' of airflow.

On 2/6/2023 at 7:01 PM, yantosh said:

326409399_2344385062387722_4344214514221066754_n.jpg

325691910_725746715714927_5134239928523679436_n.jpg

Just turn the rubbers upside down then you aren't wedging the foam against the frame ? :tu

And forgive me for noticing but the carbs in the pictures above are slide types so will virtually function quite well without any sort of induction modification IMO. ;)

• Like 1

The airbox rubbers form part of the tuned inlet tract length in much the same way as exhaust lengths, pressure pulses travel up and down the tract and reflect off the open end or the end cap on a pod filter. This can play havoc with the jetting ( LC Yamaha's suffered from this until the late Leon Moss developed a spacer to move the K+N backwards to correct it). It's worth noting that the rubbers also project into the airbox to allow air to be drawn from all round so running stock rubbers with a sock filter over them will help everything work in harmony. 

Yantosh's set up above is a good example. The important bit is the length to the end of the rubber is maintained and the foam end of the filter will not give a surface for a pulse to reflect off.

Edited by bluedog59