Head Gasket

SheepDog

Hi guys.

Just about to put my cylinder head back on with a new gasket and am not sure about the gasket.

The old gasket was a combination of three layers (chk picture). The new gasket I have is five layers and part of my Athena Gasket Kit.

IMG_3101.thumb.jpg.e5a5fc3ed1630a8038f79c8b307746bd.jpg

IMG_3102.thumb.jpg.d1408698ddc34781ba176d383ee63142.jpg

IMG_3103.thumb.jpg.dd7abd11d9be9a221ff4d64bef92f024.jpg

It also is grouped together with holding lugs.

Is it good to go as a five layer or do I trim the holding lugs and remove the top and bottom parts and use it as a three layer?

Your thoughts and any feedback would be good. The Athena Kit is proving great so far for replacement gaskets etc.

12 hours ago, wraith said:

Looks like a oil cooled gasket you have in your pics ? 

Hi Wraith

My bike doesn't have an oil cooler at the front. Attached picture shows initial strip down with just the front faring removed.

FrontGSX1100.thumb.jpg.61cf0cea7e20987d54e5ddfcb7b84468.jpg

My Aussie VIN number / compliance plate states '83 with the prefix GS 110X - xxxxxxx.

The bike is blue and white - tank, fairing etc the exact same as a GSX 1100 esd (the sam as the black and red ones).

Can someone share, identify something that may amiss?

1 hour ago, fab said:

have you measured both gaskets. 

Good point Fab. Sorry I missed doing this.

I've used my digital calipers and yes they are closely the same. The old one is 1.20-1.21 mm give or take and the new one is 1.23-125 mm give or take.

I'm thinking the difference is OK.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SheepDog said:

Good point Fab. Sorry I missed doing this.

I've used my digital calipers and yes they are closely the same. The old one is 1.20-1.21 mm give or take and the new one is 1.23-125 mm give or take.

I'm thinking the difference is OK.

The Gasket "Type" you have is called MLS "multi layer steel"  just fit it the right way up normally an Arrow or UP marked on it and torque to the correct specs as per manual :)

5 hours ago, Duckndive said:

The Gasket "Type" you have is called MLS "multi layer steel"  just fit it the right way up normally an Arrow or UP marked on it and torque to the correct specs as per manual :)

Cheers for this. I'm aware they are called MLS gaskets. It was all about the 3 layer to 5 layer.

Thanks guys for the input.  :D

• Like 1