Martin GSX1100

Rijko

14 hours ago, Rijko said:

thanks. I would like to have more power, but it looks like that drags one into expensive territory ....
Starting with the non-welded crank that does not seem to be able to handle much more than standard.
Straight gears on the crank and clutch basket, bigger valves, flowed head, expensive carbs, etc.
Too bad, if crank revision/welding was not so expensive i would probably be able to get a fresh flowed head with new valve guides and large valves.

Found a super nice overview of GSX engine specifications, weaknesses and differences here : https://suzuki-classic.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5192&p=29371#p29367

That looks like a very good info collection! Pity that it's in some weird language... :P

Straight cut primary gears aren't that critical on a road bike. The stock helical gears should be good up to 200hp or so if don't do repeated hard launches on glued track.

If your crank is without any welds it's indeed a weak point. I have no personal experiance about them but I have heard that they can get twisted even at stock power. A factory welded cranks that came with later engines can handle decent amount of power if they are in good condition.