Martin GSX1100

Rijko

Hi folks,

i recently bought a Martin GSX1100 in parts.
With it, a GS110X engine which i believe is 1981.

I am looking for more power and from what i can find, the 1135 is much better.
Welded crank, cheaper power and torque than tuning the existing GSX1100.
Most power and better gearbox from the 1985 and up EFF engine ?

Can you tell me if this is a good option ?
Are engine dimensions and mount points the same ?
Do i need more than just the engine ... igniter, wiring loom,  other parts ... or can i just hook up the engine to the GSX1100 wiring loom ?

I am new to  the GSX so feel free to dump the knowledge on me :D

Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 22-18-44.png

Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 22-19-14.png

Edited by Rijko
  • Like 4

Much better, not sure ? It does have more hp and torque from the get go but they are basically the same engine. Both are the same big, heavy, capable blocks.

Using what you have already should make a very good bike to start with, but you can swap the engines over in any GSX 1100 frame, the mounts are the same.

2 hours ago, rodneya said:

But that is a really cool old bike and I would keep the engine you have in it

thanks, and agreed. 25HP extra is very nice to have but the standard GSX1100 still is an impressive engine i like a lot.

And it only has 13K on the clock so will get it running anyway.

i already bought new inner legs for the ET fork that came with it, working on polishing the lower legs now.

Plan is to first just assemble the bike, and ride it for a bit and see what is what before throwing (too much) money at it.

18 hours ago, Safra said:

Strange that it would have ET forks with leading axles maybe someone kept the original forks 

Martin sold "kits" in the day.

Cheapest kit contained mainly frame, rear "De Carbon" shock, bodywork and rearset.

Optional kit contained Martin wheels, Brembo brakes and 42 mm Betor front fork with clipons and triple tree.

So to see an ET fork and standard brakes with an ET engine indicates only Kit 1 was bought,
and confirms originality / "as built" ..

The ET triple tree wears the bearings that fit the Martin frame. (larger than the ET ones)
So another indication it was built with ET stuff.

Seller confirmed his father bought it from second owner and knew the first owner and told me
the bike was not changed since new.

Edited by Rijko
  • Like 2

For the eagle-eyed amongst us : those are not ET wheels in the picture.

The seller's father (deceased years ago) owned the bike for decades but seller never knew it running.
I may have found the reason for that in the wiring loom btw xD

After decades the frame was rusted and a teacher of the Da Vinci College Leiden offered to restore the bike in his technical classes with his pupils. That project never flew - they powdercoated the frame and the project died.

After some years he collected the bike in bits as in the pictures but the original wheels were not there : the wheels in the picture do not belong with this Martin. Guess another project died there in school ...
I found some very nice original GSX1100ET wheels (Thanks Jeroen !) so that's good.

Edited by Rijko
  • Like 1

Carb time !

The Da Vinci guys tried to remove the jets .... buggered up 2 and gave up.
Fortunately xD

I got the other 2 out and measured up what i had to work with.

Enlarged the jet opening to approx halfway in the jet : this leaves some meat to tap a screwdriver in.

Put some WD40 in there, applied some heat, more WD40 and let it soak for a day.

Next, heated up the tower holding the jet until the WD40 started boiling and gently tapped the screwdriver in there.

screwdriver.jpg

Edited by Rijko
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, FJD said:

That carb stand looks really nice, can you post some more pictures ?

It is great, would not want to do without it !
It is for sale here : https://eshop.econ-werkzeuge.de/Vergaserhalter-6676293

You can set the carb fuel level using the exact angle as on the bike, turn the carbs while working on them, it also has a leak container below.

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Rijko
  • Like 5

You’ve got a nice project there, congrats on the find.  To me the GSX1100 engines look better than the 1150’s especially in custom frames.  The 1100’s make good power but if you’re thinking you’d like more they respond well to a cam upgrade, displacement increase, and a bit more compression.  A high velocity free flowing exhaust with a set of performance carbs will certainly complement the engine mods

• Like 1
16 hours ago, cnap504 said:

You’ve got a nice project there, congrats on the find.  To me the GSX1100 engines look better than the 1150’s especially in custom frames.  The 1100’s make good power but if you’re thinking you’d like more they respond well to a cam upgrade, displacement increase, and a bit more compression.  A high velocity free flowing exhaust with a set of performance carbs will certainly complement the engine mods

thanks. I would like to have more power, but it looks like that drags one into expensive territory ....
Starting with the non-welded crank that does not seem to be able to handle much more than standard.
Straight gears on the crank and clutch basket, bigger valves, flowed head, expensive carbs, etc.
Too bad, if crank revision/welding was not so expensive i would probably be able to get a fresh flowed head with new valve guides and large valves.

Found a super nice overview of GSX engine specifications, weaknesses and differences here : https://suzuki-classic.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5192&p=29371#p29367

I have found slotted cam gears : cam timing seems to be the main performance difference between 100 HP GS110X and 110 HP Katana GS110X engines. Pretty cheap upgrade.
The Martin 4-1 exhaust seems to be pretty free flowing with a quite big collector diameter.

Edited by Rijko