Slide carbs

bomberone

Still prepping these original slide carbs to replace the cv' s on a gsx1000. 

Is it worth swapping out the brass floats for the plastic ones from the cv' s?  I do try to stick to e5 fuel..... but?

The carbs have a central fuel inlet, but carbs 2,3 & 4 all have a brass inlet spigot for a vacuum hose? Do 2 of these need blanking?

Ta

14 hours ago, bomberone said:

The carbs have a central fuel inlet, but carbs 2,3 & 4 all have a brass inlet spigot for a vacuum hose? Do 2 of these need blanking?

Vac hose connections on 3 out of 4 carbs would be unusual? Fuel tap vac usually off an inlet rubber, carb balancing vac ports on all carb bodies are normally blanked / capped off. Plastic floats good idea but straight swap ? ? ?

Ta for replies, hadnt seen that vid.

Those spigots/ports? No.1 is cast blank.  So only 3 ports.

In the roof of the float bowl no.3 has a ball bearing , the others are open. Perhaps that one (no.3) is the vac tap?. (As gs7_11 suggested).  If the other 2 are vents they need to be unblanked?

You were right, the plastic floats from bs34 carbs hardly fit (restricted travel), but good to see vid shows direct plastic replacements available.

He's capped those off for shipping I think. They are the 2 Float bowl vents on the outside, and vacuum in the middle.

Same as VM28 etc.

Yes, the 2 vents need to be uncapped, and preferably piped away to an area of still-ish air. Some of these carbs can be affected by changes in air pressure in the float bowls, although I believe the CV BS carbs are the main culprits for this.

Edited by gs7_11
  • Like 1