Wossner pistons

Oilyspanner

If anyone is fitting some 80/81/82mm wossner pistons to their gsxr1100, could you please weigh the piston and gudgeon pin. I'm thinking of building another engine and would like to use the wossner pistons if they're closer to standard weight than the other options. I emailed Wossner direct and received a nice reply, but the details still lacked the average weight  !

Thanks in hope

Oily

I can't help with the weight of the wossner pistons,but I do vaguely recall that someone ( not sure if it was on here or not ) had some thin walled tool steel gudgeon pins turned to help reduce the weight of the pistons they were fitting to nearer that of a std piston, sorry to be so vague but it was something I read that may or may not help and I have slept since reading about this idea and may not have it 100% correct,

Edited by DAZ
Added text
  • Like 1
On 12/28/2022 at 1:28 PM, DAZ said:

I can't help with the weight of the wossner pistons,but I do vaguely recall that someone ( not sure if it was on here or not ) had some thin walled tool steel gudgeon pins turned to help reduce the weight of the pistons they were fitting to nearer that of a std piston, sorry to be so vague but it was something I read that may or may not help and I have slept since reading about this idea and may not have it 100% correct,

Hi Daz - that might've been me !  I've got Wiseco pistons in my bike and found out the gudgeon pins were heavier than stock, although the std ones are 3mm longer and needed trimming at each end. I don't know why there's nothing published anywhere on the wossner piston weight - you can find the American pistons with a bit of digging around O.o

• Like 1

It quite possibly could have been you ,I've come back to OSS for some inspiration after a few years of modern bike misery , chopping and changing and still unhappy with the modern white goods experience(they work perfectly well but have no character) and have read loads .btw read @370steveefe build and he used wossner 1246 pistons maybe he has some paperwork or something:|

• Like 1
12 hours ago, DAZ said:

It quite possibly could have been you ,I've come back to OSS for some inspiration after a few years of modern bike misery , chopping and changing and still unhappy with the modern white goods experience(they work perfectly well but have no character) and have read loads .btw read @370steveefe build and he used wossner 1246 pistons maybe he has some paperwork or something:|

Old Suzukis are great to own, especially if you choose one that suits you, you can upgrade them and they're brilliant to ride (y)

6 hours ago, Oilyspanner said:

Old Suzukis are great to own, especially if you choose one that suits you, you can upgrade them and they're brilliant to ride (y)

Oh I know that ,out of the 25 or 26 bikes I've had over the years the 1200 bandits were the ones I loved the most and kept the longest,12 years between two of them,but unfortunately got suckered into the advertising hype and have had all sorts but whilst they all do the job well,they never seem to hit the spot,hence the "white goods" expression who cares what make the fridge or washing machine is? . I'm impressed by the projects on here (always was) but the development by you and @jonny1bumpis above and beyond ,thanks for the inspiration,this year I need to sell the current non OSS ride and go old skool again 

• 2 months later...

I bought a set of 81mm Wossner pistons,  the pistons are only 3 or 4 grams lighter,  but the design has a short gudgeon pin, saving a lot of weight , steel being much heavierthan aluminium - saves around 18 grams  !   The rings and wire clips are very similar,  so over 20 grams saving over my Wiseco 80mm piston assemblies, very worthwhile,  giving the crank , bearings,  conrods etc an easier time at high revs.

Now I've got to balance the set, the only negative is that one piston is 0.9 g heavier than the lightest, I can balance them though. Overall very happy.

20230331_143719.jpg

• Like 3