will a vin tell paint color/

fab

Suzuki don't put a sticker with paint code on their bikes as other manufacturers do.

Here is a list of all Suzuki colour names and codes, which you can take to a paint shop. At least this will narrow it down to a few reds, blues etc.

If you know where to start of course, if there is no trace of the original colour, this won't help. :/

D.D.

19 hours ago, TonyGee said:

it does with cars but never tried it with a bike ???  

News to me! See this :

Each number or letter in a VIN denotes specific information related to your car. We’ll list each character’s meaning below.

1st Character: Where the vehicle was built

2nd and 3rd Characters: The manufacturer

• 4th through 8th Characters: Brand, engine size, and type of vehicle
  • 9th Character: Security code, or check digit, used to detect invalid VINs
  • 10th Character: Model year of the vehicle
  • 11th Character: Plant where the vehicle was assembled
  • 12th through 17th Characters: Serial number of the vehicle isn’t difficult; you just need to know what you’re looking at.
  • You’ll notice that in all the character descriptions above, we didn’t list paint color. That’s because your VIN doesn’t explicitly

• indicate your car’s paint code, which is the number used in matching paint to a car’s exact shade.However, you can still determine

• your automotive paint color using your VIN. Because your VIN acts as your car’s fingerprint, you can use it to search for your car’s paint

• code through other platforms. You can call your dealer, give them your VIN, and ask for the paint code. Another option is searching for

• paint codes online using your VIN.Though your VIN won’t give you your car’s exact paint code or color, it’s a tool that will help you find it.

With bikes I'd guess its even less likely to be successful seeing as most of a bikes 'colour' is bolt-on and / or removable or replaceable !

8 minutes ago, fab said:

I was just trying to confirm what "COLOUR" my bike was from the factory, not trying to get a paint code.

cars in my country will have a vin plate with exterior colour , interior colour

The paint code will give you the colour, like most info you get via vehicle paperwork, it will be in code.

Edited by Joseph
30 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

well let me enlighten you,  i was given a link on a BMW site to a "vin decoder"  I put my vin number in and it came up with plenty of info, build date/spec/options from new owner and low and behold the COLOUR !!!!!!!!  

the colour is in a database somewhere at the factory, but it can not be determined from a position in the VIN.

Your VIN decoder has access to the database and can see the colour it left the factory in, and the options it had and so on. Stuff you can only find out if you have access to the database.

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

the colour is in a database somewhere at the factory, but it can not be determined from a position in the VIN.

Your VIN decoder has access to the database and can see the colour it left the factory in, and the options it had and so on. Stuff you can only find out if you have access to the database.

thanks for that, I will contact our Suzuki importer and see how I go.