Balancing carbs and adjusting idle

Omegasteve

Forgive me if this has already been suggested, I've not had the chance to read all the recommendations made by others....

I had a similar issue with a 750J a while back, no matter how hard I tried to get the carbs balanced, I would end up with the idle "hanging up" like you describe. 

Turns out it was vacuum leaks due to cracked / perished carb rubbers (and the O-Rings behind them). 

Could be worth a try?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, coombehouse said:

I can't see valve clearance causing that though I could be wrong. It certainly wouldn't make it idle high. The most likely is still an airleak at the carb rubbers or a blockage internally in the carbs  

If there is a blockage then at this point I have no idea where it will be. Everything blows through clear and I've also gently run wire through almost all of the passageways too. Granted I may need to go that extra step and sonic clean them. I just can't believe there's anything left to come out of them. Rubbers all seem in good condition and I can't see any splits or tears either. 

Just to throw it out there I had trouble with my 750 F carbs and was convinced it was the choke. I found one of the boot rubbers into the airbox loose reglued it like the others with contact adhesive and sorted my running issues so when you check rubbers for leaks also check fitting into the airbox (not saying its the not running thing though)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Devilman said:

Forgive me if this has already been suggested, I've not had the chance to read all the recommendations made by others....

I had a similar issue with a 750J a while back, no matter how hard I tried to get the carbs balanced, I would end up with the idle "hanging up" like you describe. 

Turns out it was vacuum leaks due to cracked / perished carb rubbers (and the O-Rings behind them). 

Could be worth a try?

Definitely worth a try! Any ideas where to get them? 

Unless theyre damaged, you wont need to replace the carb rubbers themselves, just the O rings. Just be dead careful taking the JIS screws out that hold them on. Dont try and do it with a Phillips screwdriver as it'll cam out and damage the head of the screw

If you cant find the Lidl ones, you'll want 4 of 0928040020 from Suzuki. Theyre only about £4 a throw. might be a quid cheaper off Grumpys

O Ring(d:2.4,id:43.2)  is the size btw

Edited by davecara
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, davecara said:

Unless theyre damaged, you wont need to replace the carb rubbers themselves, just the O rings. Just be dead careful taking the JIS screws out that hold them on. Dont try and do it with a Phillips screwdriver as it'll cam out and damage the head of the screw

If you cant find the Lidl ones, you'll want 4 of 0928040020 from Suzuki. Theyre only about £4 a throw. might be a quid cheaper off Grumpys

Fantastic,  what's grumpys? 

6 minutes ago, Omegasteve said:

Just to double check, csmnl list the size as 2.4x39.7mm. Which is correct? If not sure I'll just measure mine of course. 

I think they'll all interchange to be honest, if you follow all the part number supercessions on cmsnl theres a dozen or more sizes all listed as being compatible with each other

1 hour ago, davecara said:

I think they'll all interchange to be honest, if you follow all the part number supercessions on cmsnl theres a dozen or more sizes all listed as being compatible with each other

Nice, I'll have a hunt whilst I wait for grumpys to reply. Bearingshopuk list the size in a nitrile oring x5 for £1.51. 

Edited by Omegasteve
  • Like 1

Just a random thought but how about that the carbs are so far out of balance that 1 or more of the butterflies are actually totally shut ? This may result in no air flow for the pilot jets to work with on the carb(s) affected. Raising the tickover would bring them into play for it to run on all 4. Maybe balancing the carbs by eye to start with or balancing with the gauges on a high tickover may help.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, bluedog59 said:

Just a random thought but how about that the carbs are so far out of balance that 1 or more of the butterflies are actually totally shut ? This may result in no air flow for the pilot jets to work with on the carb(s) affected. Raising the tickover would bring them into play for it to run on all 4. Maybe balancing the carbs by eye to start with or balancing with the gauges on a high tickover may help.

Hi bud thank you for your reply, I've set them up by eye first of all with thr butterfly sitting slightly behind the third of the three small holes. I've also did my best to balance them at a 2k idle and managed to get them all into 1cm/hg or whatever it is of each other.