1100 Kat engine noise

dynodave

So... Started my new to me 1100 Kat project, which has been off the road for about 10yrs, and was surprised at the whine that comes from the engine when revved and not sure if this is normal? The motor looks to be an EZ/ES model as it has provision for an oil temp sensor as well as pressure. The motor seems strong with no smoke but whines like it has a supercharger! I found one on youtube that sounds similar. I've attached the link below. I do have video of mine running if anyone is interested in me sending it to them and can help? I have had the clutch apart but can see nothing untoward, and the clutch drum has had a new heavy duty cush drive fitted.

sounds like a dry/noisy bearing !!!!  when I got my 83 GSX1100 engine it had a slight whine (nowhere near as bad as the video)  and that engine had been sitting a long time. but after a few 100 miles its now quiet.    have you got a mechanic's stethoscope ? great for pinpointing noises.  

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Isleoman said:

If the noise from the  "nice clean example"  in your link is normal, I sure couldn't live with it.   The champaign colored one in your link sounds normal.  

Yeah my ez never sounded like that! Agree with @TonyGeeit's a bearing noise only issue is will it go away or cause big problems down the line o.Osorry to be a harbinger of doom 

• 5 months later...

Not sure if anyone is interested but I thought I would update this thread... So I tore down the engine and found that someone had been in there and had fixed it before....not! They had forgotten to put the peg in the outer crank bearing behind the ignition. The bearing had rotated and blocked the oil way starving it of oil. It rolled like a spherical bearing lol there was so much play! I took the crank to Dave Branch who had a good secondhand bearing with a peg (Not available from Suzuki), replaced the odd 2 conrods (2 different types on one crank plus one was bent) replaced a main bearing and welded it up for me. Started her up at the weekend after putting it back together with a new to me set of cases, new wiseco rings and a hone, new camchain, camchain tensioner blade, manual tensioner and lapping in of all of the valves, Pleased to say she sounds a lot better now!

Edited by dynodave
  • Like 8