Wheel identification

Jonny

The hub looks like a Yamaha disc fitting and it's from a bike with a rear disc (rare). This should narrow your search down a bit. I'd ignore the spokes/rim for now as it may have been respoked onto a new rim in the past. If it is from a Yamaha it's not from an XS650 as they had a rear drum.

PS Some Italian bikes used the same disc fitment as older Yamaha (until quite recently even), and the disc may not be the one originally supplied with the wheel: it may even be an Italian hub with a Jap disc.

Edited by Dezza
4 hours ago, bluedog59 said:

Have you got the sprocket carrier ? Maybe some manufacturers marks on it or cross referencing the sprocket I/d and bolt pcd could narrow it down.

I do have it. I dug it out and the sprocket bolts are stamped Suzuki, so that’s a start! E34615C7-661B-419A-B6B8-D980E20EA4A4.thumb.jpeg.d54cfddbc1b9045b7ff472932e42b732.jpeg

5 hours ago, Tony Nitrous said:

This is the rear wheel on a 1980 GSX1100ET I have stashed away. No idea of why it has wire wheels, how I bought it (In Australia). 

25C4E4FD-6832-4076-A919-C714BCDC4C40.jpeg

1668BDC9-F767-47FD-883A-82635E856EE6.jpeg

6553D553-8242-4383-9400-EAEAC78556B8.jpeg

I guessing it’s had new rims as both back and front now take early GSXR size 18” tyres. 

Thanks for posting Tony. That defo looks like the same wheel.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

gs1000 spoked wheel. theyre uber rare and very sought after. when suzuki made the kat szx for use in some race series in the southern hemisphere, they raided the spare parts bin for stuff and used spoked rins from the early gs1000, theyre rare cos most spoked suzuki rears of the era had a drum brake and most disk braked rears were on cast ally rims, so this is the rare spoked rim with a disk brake. when people buy sets of spoked wheels from a gs to build bikes, 90+% of the value of when they pay is in the rear wheel hub.  theyre just super rare, tons of spoked front hubs are out there, but this particular combination of spoked rim and disk hub is probably the most desirable of all the vintage suzuki wheels. ive seen just the hub, no rim or bearings, but just the hub, fetch over 250 quid. thats a great find. (a very few gt750 kettles had this hub and an even smaller number of re5's, but that does nothing to make them less sought after). the fact that someone in the past has fitted it with an ally rim just saves you having to do it!!

Edited by johnr
  • Like 2
On 12/31/2022 at 7:17 PM, johnr said:

gs1000 spoked wheel. theyre uber rare and very sought after. when suzuki made the kat szx for use in some race series in the southern hemisphere, they raided the spare parts bin for stuff and used spoked rins from the early gs1000, theyre rare cos most spoked suzuki rears of the era had a drum brake and most disk braked rears were on cast ally rims, so this is the rare spoked rim with a disk brake. when people buy sets of spoked wheels from a gs to build bikes, 90+% of the value of when they pay is in the rear wheel hub.  theyre just super rare, tons of spoked front hubs are out there, but this particular combination of spoked rim and disk hub is probably the most desirable of all the vintage suzuki wheels. ive seen just the hub, no rim or bearings, but just the hub, fetch over 250 quid. thats a great find. (a very few gt750 kettles had this hub and an even smaller number of re5's, but that does nothing to make them less sought after). the fact that someone in the past has fitted it with an ally rim just saves you having to do it!!

My 1st early GS750 also had wire wheels with rear disk, I assume the front and rears wire wheels would be the same as fitted to early GS1000s, I paid £20 for a rear at Stafford last year:banana:

4 hours ago, ral said:

My 1st early GS750 also had wire wheels with rear disk, I assume the front and rears wire wheels would be the same as fitted to early GS1000s, I paid £20 for a rear at Stafford last year:banana:

Hubs were the same afaik, early '78 GS1000 wire wheels had alloy rims. GS750 had chrome steel rims.

Edited by Rijko