It's finally time - Formula Prostock B6

zedhead

So, as Katanamangler alluded to in his welcome post, I've finally got around to pulling my finger out and going road racing, as I've been muttering about for some years.

I'd actually got my ACU licence, did the training etc, about 14 years ago, but then procrastinated when a potential bike was no longer available, and then years passed by in the blink of an eye...

And then 2022 came, kicked me in the bollocks and made me realise that if you want to do stuff, then just fucking do it...

End result, a Bandit 600 bought at Newark Autojumble, with a conversation 24 hours later with the guys from Formula Prostock Racing at Motorcycle Live, and me signing up for the 2023 series.

Nothing done to the bike yet, but here's how it stands right now.

b6boggostocko.jpg

Edited by zedhead
  • Like 12

Welcome to the fun world of motorcycle racing, prepare for a season of elation, comedy and misery. As it's your first time I wouldn't bother trying to have the best/fastest bike on the grid, just one does what it's supposed to do and is easy to ride. The bike will always have a better lap time in it than the rider can manage while you're learning.  Working out how to go fast on track is more about head than balls, concentrate on being smooth and getting your line right, put them together and the lap times will come. 

If you need a spanner man for Donington, give me a shout as it's only up the road from me.

PS. No matter how fast or good on the brakes you think you are, the fast guys will come flying past. It's a totally different level to what you can do on the road. 

PPS. It will take over your life and be your only subject of conversation. xD

• Like 3

Parts being collected together before I start any work, so far I've got:- a flat track style number board from Red Max Speed Shop, brake lever guard from R&G, lockwire-ready sump plug, service kit, flat bars, rearsets from Race Supplies (although they'll need adaptor plates to give enough ground clearance) and a Black Widow full exhaust system.

I still need to pick up a bellypan (that's coming from A16 Racing) and a sharks fin chain guard.

Edited by zedhead
  • Like 2
On 12/5/2022 at 5:06 PM, Paulm said:

I think there's a pair of wheels at the unit Dave,yours if you want them,have a look next time you go over,pair of white wheels in the pile next to the door.

Nice one, thanks Paul, I have a couple of irons in the fire for spare wheels right now, as need a pair for wet tyres, and was considering going white with the wheels. Hoping to get over to the unit later this week, so I'll have a look ;-)

1 hour ago, zedhead said:

Nice one, thanks Paul, I have a couple of irons in the fire for spare wheels right now, as need a pair for wet tyres, and was considering going white with the wheels. Hoping to get over to the unit later this week, so I'll have a look ;-)

I'll be there on Saturday Dave.

• Like 1
On 12/10/2022 at 9:10 AM, clivegto said:

The other guy that was interested in buying the bike at Newark was humming and haring about the colour with the seller when I walked by, then I heard you just walked up and bought it. Made me chuckle :D. Good luck with the racing (y)

Yep, exactly what happened Clive! The other bloke was looking at it for the third time, and I asked Gen how much he wanted, and what the mileage was and then, with that information, I said "Sold!" and shook Gen's hand. The other geezer stomped off, looking dismayed, frustrated and perplexed... you snooze you lose!

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 8:39 PM, zedhead said:

Also have spare 600 front wheels and should have a b12 or 1100 rear if needed  ...no cost :tu

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that was fun... the bolts in the spare wheels were not just seized... they were torx-headed bolts, not shouldered as they should be, fitted by a gorilla with about a bucket of loctite (or similar)... all now out bar one, that has just had a nut welded to it after the torx fitting that I'd welded to it snapped. I'm leaving it overnight so it can think about what it's done, then it'll feel bad tomorrow and will pop out of it's own accord.

In other news, one header bolt still being a bit grumpy. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, yantosh said:

disc bolts, soft as cheese, but hate to be drilled  xD

Indeed. And seemingly made from the same material as the bolts used to hold on the rear brake master cylinder - one drilled, then welded, then snapped. Fuck you, off to the bin you go! (replacement master cylinder ordered...)

• Like 1