Slabby front axle upgrade

HDTboy

Hi guys, I've got a mildly modified 85 GSXR 750, and see that Suzuki used a bigger axle for the H model.

So far my bike has extra frame bracing, an R1 shock, 0.95 fork springs. The next thing I'm looking at to improve rigidity is using the 17mm front axle from an H in place of the 15mm axle the F and G came with. There's a few parts needed for the conversion, but before I start acquiring them, I'd like to know if anyone else has done it, and was it worth it?

Cheers,

It would be far easier to just get the sliders from the 87H. I'd even go so far as get the ones from the 1100, which I did. Along with the 17mm bore for the axle, the fender mount/fork brace lugs on the 1100's sliders are thicker than the 750s and use the next size up bolt. So if you use a thicker, proper, fork brace,,, as I did, you end up with a stronger "box" so to speak. Be aware though, the the anti-dive unit mounting points are not identical. If you use the 750s anti-dive units on the 1100 sliders, it WILL leak. The o-ring sealing surface locations are not exactly the same. So, use the 1100's units, or block off units for the 1100,,,,, which I did.

Looks like I might have to keep an eye out for the 1100 ones then, thanks. Will get cartridge emulators at the same time, so will only leave damper adjusters on for looks. It's great fun destroying people on modern bikes with an old slabby that looks stock.

• Like 2

Have a .95 spring coming for the rear. Eibach coilover springs are the right size, and cheaper than aftermarket bike springs. Having looked at the front guard mount a little better, I think I'll get one made from 10mm aluminium before finding the fork legs