Turbo recomendations

Jdeac

15 hours ago, clivegto said:

@ArttuI got just over 230hp with tdo4l on 1216cc busa pistons big valve flowed head :DIMG_20221125_143237.thumb.jpg.2cd0be5f0cf11e61de65135c7ec58db0.jpg

What TD04 variant it is? The range of TD04 models is pretty wide, smallest ones will max out before 200hp and biggest ones can go over 300hp. Based on the torque curve it looks like the boost climbs up with revs?

11 hours ago, Arttu said:

What TD04 variant it is? The range of TD04 models is pretty wide, smallest ones will max out before 200hp and biggest ones can go over 300hp. Based on the torque curve it looks like the boost climbs up with revs?

Don't know can't read writing on it but it did make 260hp when I first built it about 4 years ago on the mobile dyno at Caldwell Park then 259hp a week later on John Warrington's dyno in Malton. Must have lost a bit of power over the year's. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The guys who have chimed in are far more knowledgeable than me on the topic so I won't even try to get as deep as them.  With that said, a cheap and good turbo option is a Holset HY35.  It uses a 9cm^2 turbine housing (smaller than the 12cm^2 on the HX35) but uses a compressor side very very close in size to the HX35.

I'm using one on my 86 1100 but I've gone 9mm overbore so its 1316cc now.  Will be on the dyno in the spring as its too cold right now for accurate tuning.

I picked mine up for $50 Canadian and a rebuild kit cost me $80.  They were found on early 2000's Dodge ram pick up trucks with a Cummins 5.9L diesel and more specifically, the automatic trans versions.  The manual trans got the HX.  

Great turbo if you can find them as they were designed to be overworked and underpaid.

Compressor racing in the UK sell Holsets in hard to find sizes and are a big fan of them along with Stav from Stavtech.

14 hours ago, TiZiK said:

ill be on the dyno in the spring as its too cold right now for accurate tuning.

Why? Tuning in cold dense air gives optimum settings IMO, as when air warms it will be less dense so will run richer but fuel will also be less dense so virtually self correcting to a degree?

5 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Why? Tuning in cold dense air gives optimum settings IMO, as when air warms it will be less dense so will run richer but fuel will also be less dense so virtually self correcting to a degree?

Probably depends more on the time of year you ride most.

On 1/5/2023 at 3:49 AM, Gixer1460 said:

On 1/5/2023 at 9:06 AM, Fazz711 said:

Probably depends more on the time of year you ride most.

This is exactly why.  Temps at the track 20+ degrees Celsius, upwards of 30 in the middle of summer.  Tuning over the winter where the fresh air intake at the shop is -10 or colder isn't gonna do me any good come summer.

Now, if I was going for the ultimate high HP number, then ya lol