17 tooth sprocket.

Busaboy09

Hi, After some help, I have put a 17 tooth front sprocket on my suzuki gsx1200 inazuma and now when I put the cover back on the back wheel won't turn because the sprocket is catching on the bolt thing that's right by the sprocket, has anyone had this problem and what did you do about it. Thank you for any advice.

2 minutes ago, wraith said:

If you put anything bigger than a 15t sprocket on you need to remove some of the meat from the sprocket cover where the rear bolt goes through. That's with a 16t but with a 17t you may also be hitting the clutch push rod? 

No it misses the clutch push rod but hits that rear bolt on the cover, I removed some of the meat but still hitting, wondering if it's safe to remove that bolt piece, or maybe just go down to a 16 tooth.

14 minutes ago, Busaboy09 said:

No it misses the clutch push rod but hits that rear bolt on the cover, I removed some of the meat but still hitting, wondering if it's safe to remove that bolt piece, or maybe just go down to a 16 tooth.

Cut the offending piece off and leave the bolt out. The cover is still secure with the other 5(?) bolts holding it in. 

8 minutes ago, davecara said:

Cut the offending piece off and leave the bolt out. The cover is still secure with the other 5(?) bolts holding it in. 

Thank you, I was thinking about that but wasn't sure if it would still be okay with that one removed. Not sure how much it will drop the revs but stock 15/44 is 4000rpm at 100kph.

23 minutes ago, Busaboy09 said:

Too drop the revs on the open road.

I think what he means is: why would you want to raise the overall gearing by so much? A 2 tooth increase at the front is a huge overall gearing increase. To pull this the bike is going to need big weight loss, better aerodynamics, a substantial power increase or preferably all three. Did you try  a 16t sprocket or going down 2t at the back first?

52 minutes ago, Dezza said:

I think what he means is: why would you want to raise the overall gearing by so much? A 2 tooth increase at the front is a huge overall gearing increase. To pull this the bike is going to need big weight loss, better aerodynamics, a substantial power increase or preferably all three. Did you try  a 16t sprocket or going down 2t at the back first?

True - you've effectively taken 6 teeth off the rear which is a big change without other mods!