Pressing out a GSX stem.

imago

I pressed out the Bandit stem no problem, but the top of the (first) GSX stem squashed. The press was up around 10/12 tonnes before it gave, so not that surprising really. Add in that the wall thickness is much thinner on the GSX stem, and it's been in there for 30 years longer and I guess it's not going to just pop out.

When you're pressing a GSX stem do you use heat, a mandrill, the force, prayers? 

37 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Bit of heat wouldn’t hurt. You say you ‘squashed’ the first stem. I’m supposing you mean the threads? Leave the stem nut fully on with the next one, to protect the threads. 

No, just below the threads at the start of the land for the top yoke.

In other fcuking annoying news, the stems aren't a straight swap anyway. I pressed another stem out which popped at 5-6 tonnes, happy days. Or so I thought. The GSX stems are 30 mm, the Bandit stem is 30.3 mm. So the GSX stem is like a prick up a shirt sleeve in the bandit yoke. Double bollocks, don't beleive what you read on the internet and back to the drawing board. ¬¬

34 minutes ago, imago said:

No, just below the threads at the start of the land for the top yoke.

In other fcuking annoying news, the stems aren't a straight swap anyway. I pressed another stem out which popped at 5-6 tonnes, happy days. Or so I thought. The GSX stems are 30 mm, the Bandit stem is 30.3 mm. So the GSX stem is like a prick up a shirt sleeve in the bandit yoke. Double bollocks, don't beleive what you read on the internet and back to the drawing board. ¬¬

Surely .3 of a millimetre ain't that loose?