Boost creep!

rerb

Watched some gopro footage of some of my pulls, with my boost controller full shut (10 psi) my gauge read as high as 25!! Which explains why it kept cutting out (ignition)

This only happens with my exhaust off. I'm using an internally gated turbo, would mocking up an exhaust stop this, or do I need to look into external wastegates? Thanks.

Look at the restriction / opening of the internal gate - the valve probably only lifts 3-4mm and the port is a straight drilled hole! Neither is good for flow. An external gate will usually have a bigger valve (35mm smallest i've seen in Tial range?) and can have better placement for exhaust flow gases. And internal gate can be made significantly better if the hole is enlarged to nearer the valve size and then the throat ported to improve the flow into the valve. Its unlikely to ever entirely remove 'creep' but should minimise it! IMO if you are seeing 15+ psi over boost - that isn't creep - that's a REALLY undersized WG! Adding an exhaust instead of a dump pipe won't help - it just adds back pressure which is the last thing a turbo wants!

15 hours ago, rerb said:

Watched some gopro footage of some of my pulls, with my boost controller full shut (10 psi) my gauge read as high as 25!! Which explains why it kept cutting out (ignition)

This only happens with my exhaust off. I'm using an internally gated turbo, would mocking up an exhaust stop this, or do I need to look into external wastegates? Thanks.

Modify your ignition so it doesn't shut it off and have some more fun ;)

Edited by Reinhoud