Slabby ignition advancer

Simbec1863

I took the stock ignition rotor on both my 86 750G and my 93 GSX1100G and milled the slot on the back to give it 5 more degrees.

I set the rotor up with a collet holding indexing head on a bridgeport mill. The head holding the collet conveniently could be indexed in 5 deg. increments. The collet I used had a hex hole nearest to the size of the hex on the rotor

So I indicated the slot into the Y axis of the mill.  Then I lightly touched off on the side of the slot using the X axis, then locked the table. I then indexed it one 5 deg. increment. Yes, you have to positively know which side of the slot to mill, and yes you should use an endmill that is smaller than the slot.  When you are done, you install it with the pin in the crank against the part of the slot you milled. The cool part is, if you want stock timing back, just put the pin against the other side of the slot. Since the slot is at a very small diameter, a 5 degree index doesn't take off much metal. Just another option to consider.

• Like 1