Big Miles on my Big Bore Bandit

BikeJake

I'd guess if you're not wringing its neck constantly it's probably exactly what the motors were made to do! Worthwhile cheap-ish investment might be an oil temp sensor in the sump plug or oil gallery so you can keep an eye on it and be on the safe side, but I reckon you'll still have headroom cooling-wise.

19 hours ago, Oilyspanner said:

As above and :

The only problem with big bore, high compression Oilers is heat build up in traffic. The fairing lowers on a gsxr make it worse, on a naked or 1/2 faired bike it wouldn't be so bad - a larger oil cooler would help a bit, but both the cooler and engine need air flowing through/around them.

Fan on cooler? 

3 hours ago, Oilyspanner said:

In warmer countries I know some owners have managed to fit a fan with a manual switch,  apparently with some success.  I believe these helped draw air through the cooler, but any air movement around the barrels helps too. 

A big cooler is a lot of money 

Mine has been fine for the last 13 years since I built it.

fit a head cooler as well as  a 19 row  aftermarket one and it will be fine

few years back I did the charity ride through wotten  Bassett thousands of bikes and chugging along at 10 mph for ages. It did get hot but just pulled over and let it cool and it was fine

the next year I fitted a fan from an R6 with a switch and it helped Lots :tu

4 hours ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Mine has been fine for the last 13 years since I built it.

fit a head cooler as well as  a 19 row  aftermarket one and it will be fine

few years back I did the charity ride through wotten  Bassett thousands of bikes and chugging along at 10 mph for ages. It did get hot but just pulled over and let it cool and it was fine

the next year I fitted a fan from an R6 with a switch and it helped Lots :tu

Indeed mate.. Thanks... I spoke to Rog Upperton and he said a head cooler was a tad OTT for non racing applications, but a bigger cooler in general would be great.... Its just the bloody things cost as much as the sodding head work.... Unless anyone knows of a budget method. 

On 10/30/2022 at 2:40 AM, BikeJake said:

Anyone every pressed one of these mildly breathed on motors over big distances? I love a bit of long distance riding, have done some big miles in Europe in the passed...

Will I need additional oil cooling for a tuned bandit motor out and  about in France... Day after day?, 

When it can do 100kms, it can do 2000kms

On 11/6/2022 at 11:36 AM, Reinhoud said:

When it can do 100kms, it can do 2000kms

Well, I do agree sort of. 

Having set out on long trips, and had to turn back on pretty amazing bikes.... However the best so far was 2014 Fireblade, GSXR1000R, ZX9R, the later one being insanely comfy, my record close to 1000miles in one day, due to marital breakdown and a last ditch and pointless trip to save it all... Doh...