Bandit 12 torque

Joseph

I've seen contradictory info regarding the torque figures of the 12

According to some internet banter, and a potentially dubious online spec sheet or two, the first couple of years it was supposed to have a much higher max torque figure ?

I do not see how that is possible, but does anyone have solid info on this topic ? As well as i have never seen someone advise another : get a "that year" lump coz it's the real good one to use"

Solely a curiosity motivated question

I think Suzuki claimed 71.7 ftlbs at launch, but review figures start at around 62 ftlbs to 65 and 68 ftlbs.

Either way, not that impressive when compared to a GSXR1100 'L' that Suzuki claimed 85 ftlbs - and that was backed up in several reviews +/- 1 or 2 ftlbs LOL!

A confusing quote  . . . 

This power mill configuration lends to a horsepower of 106 bhp (79 kW) @ 8,400 RPM for Naked trims and 98.6 bhp (74 kW) @ 8,500 RPM for full-faired versions or S models, as well as a Suzuki Bandit 1200 top speed of 132–142 mph (212–228 km/h).

Torque output is either 97 Nm (9.9 kgf-m, 71.6 ft-lb) @ 6,100 RPM or 91 Nm (9.3 kgf-m, 66.9 ft-lb) @ 4,000 RPM, depending on the bike’s iteration.

Why would a 'Faired bike' have / get less HP & Torque ! ! !

• Like 1

No idea, info i've come across is that mk1 had 89.9 ft lb @ 4500rpm (which seems phenomenal)

and for pollution reasons it was dropped in 2000 to 65 ft lb

I don't see how that info is realistic ?

i checked part numbers, intake cam is the same for mk1 and mk2

Exhaust cam and ECU are specific to mk1, but i can't see how that can hide 30 ft lb alone ?

Your not looking at the bigger picture,  the Mk1 had better carbs, different ignition map, and none of the EGR crap.

the engine itself, was basically the same performance wise.  It was all the ancillary items fitted that altered the hp and torque to meet with the European legislation at the time. 

if you want easy power out of a mk2, fit a Dyna 2000, GSXR1100 cams, and Mk1 carbs. Then junk all the EGR circuit.  Makes them lively enough for the piss poor chassis and suspension/brake setup.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Joseph said:

No idea, info i've come across is that mk1 had 89.9 ft lb @ 4500rpm (which seems phenomenal)

and for pollution reasons it was dropped in 2000 to 65 ft lb

I don't see how that info is realistic ?

i checked part numbers, intake cam is the same for mk1 and mk2

Exhaust cam and ECU are specific to mk1, but i can't see how that can hide 30 ft lb alone ?

I think somewhere along the way, the units for torque got mixed up. The specs I found show 83.6Nm or 61.7lb.ft @ 4500rpm for the mk1. For the MK2, 91.7Nm or 67.6lb.ft at 6500rpm. This does make sense as the later bikes had a 3d ignition map & the milder exhaust cam but the mk1 would feel more punchy as the max torque is much lower down.

The previously mentioned pair valve (it's not EGR) stuff has no performance impact, just complication & weight

Edited by coombehouse
Info

Performance Bikes tested the mk1 at around 70/ 72 lbft on several bikes - they normally tested bikes at bsd which is a realistic dyno. The earlier bikes responded better to a pipe, later bikes had to respond to tougher emissions laws and didn't respond so well. There wasn't much in it when you tested mk1 and 2 as std - massively different....no, 30Nm ? absolutely not !