Budget question (turbo).

imago

I realise that there are many 'turbo' variations and just as many ways to reach them, but as 'all roads lead to Rome' I have a cost question for those who've done it.

Starting with a decent condition Bandit 1200 engine and aiming between 200 and 250 hp the figures I'm getting (back of a fag packet) for the bits and materials I reckon It's a minimum of £2,500 going up to £5,000 for a lot of shiny off the shelf stuff to get a running turbo'd motor.

If you take it a stage further to above 300 hp (1216, rods, lock up etc) then you're £5,000 and up to £stupid.

Do those figures sound about right compared to your total spend to get there?

Edited by imago
  • imago changed the title to Budget question (turbo).

I think your numbers are at right ball park. For reference you can check prices of ProBoost turbo kits: https://www.proboost.fi/motorcycle-turbo-kits

A Bandit kit there contains basically all that you need for 200-250hp goal. For sure you can make it for cheaper if you make parts by yourself and use second hand parts smartly. On the other hand it's easy to spend way more if you want something "little better" or more bling.

• Like 3

Good to know I'm in the vicinity price wise, just weighing up options at the moment.

The first 50 or so hp is relatively cheap and easy to do, the next fifty is expensive by comparison, and after that there's an exponential increase (as I'm sure you know). So I'm trying to work out a realistic goal for what I need, comparing it to what I want, and then looking at what I'd actually use.

Broadly speaking I could build two quality, usable bikes that are different from one another in style and strengths/weaknesses for the price of one 250 + hp turbo conversion. That's sort of what I'm looking at, but keep getting distracted by the turbo itch/question.

On 10/23/2022 at 7:13 PM, imago said:

Good to know I'm in the vicinity price wise, just weighing up options at the moment.

The first 50 or so hp is relatively cheap and easy to do, the next fifty is expensive by comparison, and after that there's an exponential increase (as I'm sure you know). So I'm trying to work out a realistic goal for what I need, comparing it to what I want, and then looking at what I'd actually use.

Broadly speaking I could build two quality, usable bikes that are different from one another in style and strengths/weaknesses for the price of one 250 + hp turbo conversion. That's sort of what I'm looking at, but keep getting distracted by the turbo itch/question.

I get what you are saying here @imago keep thinking of the turbo approach myself but hanging back mainly due to not fully understanding the full 'science' of it all. Don't really want a bike that will need fettling every outing. Looks like a visit to Fast By Me in the near future.

5 minutes ago, Wagola said:

I get what you are saying here @imago keep thinking of the turbo approach myself but hanging back mainly due to not fully understanding the full 'science' of it all. Don't really want a bike that will need fettling every outing. Looks like a visit to Fast By Me in the near future.

I'm trying to work out exactly what I want from the bike, or when/how it will get used and go from there. I like the idea of forced induction, but not 100% on if it'd fit the bill.

I have a build just starting (or just about to) which might be the best suited to that route. It's a tried and tested (some may say boring) formula of 1200 Bandit engine and running gear on a GSX frame but converting the arm to twin shocks. So flinging it about through the twisty bits is less important than fun building it and grins when opening the tap. 

But, I have a couple of ideas for it which will probably work out a bit 'spendy' so it's a numbers game. Double the hp with injection and turbo (outside possibility of blower) and however I run the numbers it's kicking the arse out of £3k for external changes only as upgrading the internals isn't worth the gains for me.

The thing there is that extra £3k would get me damn close to finishing another project.