Engine Rebuild, Clutch not engaging

larry996

Guys,

I recently rebuilt my 1980 GS1000G, It runs great!  Very happy with the rebuild which involved the head gasket and oil seal internally that separates the gearbox and engine. I had to split the case so everything is back together except this damn clutch is giving me issues. The bike gears are fine, it shifts 1, N, 2, 3, 4, 5th.

I'm stuck at a point now. When I install the clutch plates and tighten everything down. The center nut is torqued to spec, I bend the washer and then screw in all the springs/bolts to 9 ft pounds. 

Once I get the clutch cover back on and connect the clutch cable and tighten the cable with the adjustment. I opened the oil entry pour port and look down into it to see if the clutch is moving outwards when I squeeze the cable. I rotated the pinon counter clockwise until it is tight..... can see the clutch pulling outwards but when I try to put the bike in gear and then squeeze the clutch cable the rear wheel will not move. In fact, it's moving the entire crank when I force the wheel forward on the center stand.

Any help would be appreciated as I am completely baffled here.

Installation Notes:

• Plates soaked in Oil
  • New Clutch Cable
  • Reused old discs
Edited by larry996

check for shims between the clutch center and basket - sounds like tightening the clutch hub nut it is pressing the inner and outer cutch baskets together - had this on my GSX when I accidentally put the wrong clutch bearing inner spacer in , not realizing I had 2 different ones , wrong one being .5mm too thin......

• Like 1