Engine rebuild

Crazy88

Fuuuuuckkk.....the bike shop has told me my engine is fooked...

Its a Mk1 1200 bandit

The damn thing is smoking good and proper so ive decided that if it needs to be rebuilt I may as well go big bore and get it done and out the way.

So Im after advice as to what to do and any recommendations on who could do the work?

Was thinking just a Wisco 1216 kit and gas flowed head 

Is it worth doing anything to the gearbox?

It will be stage 3 and dyno'd after.

Any advice is welcomed/pros/cons

And anyone with a mk1 1200 bandit engine already done for sale? ROFL!!

The bike has been standing for a while 18 months or so, but when i was riding it, it always seemed a little smoky but i thought it was a mixture issue.

So when i got round to getting it back road worthy i had the shop play around with the carbs as they seemed to think it was a fuel issue, they got it working but now it smokes heavily as the engine warms up also wont rev above 3k.

So now its a toss up about what to do.

Milage is about 22k and yes it was running ok prior to these issues.

Edited by Crazy88

That was a bike a young lad I k9now had taken to a bike shop, they said the head gasket had gone!!!!

he asked on fartbook and was told many times the head gasket had gone!!

what had actually happened, was the bike shop who had cleaned the carbs, hadn’t tightened one of the pilot jets, it fell out and poured fuel down number 1 cylinder, lots of smoke, took an hour to fix properly:tu

• Like 1

When id got it running, cylinder 1 wasnt getting hot, it was also pissing fuel out the hose, so taking it to the shop, they originally said it was a carb issue, so new kits on all the carbs etc but after faffing with it they have now changed it to knackered rings.

Prior to it coming off the road it was running fine, just smelt a little lean, but now smokes like a coal fire and wont run above 3k, to me it still sounds carb related but im not technically savvy enough to disagree with the shop, which i find highly irritating.

Edited by Crazy88
5 minutes ago, Crazy88 said:

When id got it running, cylinder 1 wasnt getting hot, it was also pissing fuel out the hose, so taking it to the shop, they originally said it was a carb issue, so new kits on all the carbs etc but after faffing with it they have now changed it to knackered rings.

Prior to it coming off the road it was running fine, just smelt a little lean, but now smokes like a coal fire and wont run above 3k, to me it still sounds carb related but im not technically savvy enough to disagree with the shop, which i find highly irritating.

you need to find a proper bike shop 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Crazy88 said:

Bike comes back tomorrow with the bill so no definitive amount but dare I say it about 350...eeekkk!...

Sounds like you need to interrogate the bike shop as to why they think rings are the issue. Compression test and leakdown test figures would be a start ?

Before you start handing any money over ! 

23 minutes ago, Wagola said:

Sounds like you need to interrogate the bike shop as to why they think rings are the issue. Compression test and leakdown test figures would be a start ?

Before you start handing any money over ! 

Agree!! 

Any good shop would at least of done a compression test and good shops are happy for you to ask questions, so if they start trying to fob you off you know they haven't got a clue sadly :(