Offered a 1100 engine swap for Bandit

BikeJake

9 hours ago, BikeJake said:

Which ones go straight in? 

Carbs and rubbers further complications? 

Everyones a bleedin' comedian today Jake.:)

But if you mean a GSXR 1100, Yes it will fit, the external dimensions of all the oil cooled motors are the same, b12 and 1100 gsxr and power screen motors drop strainght in.. 600/750's are slightly differant but still fit...

with the correct rubbers any carbs will fit as well:tu

• Like 1
14 hours ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Everyones a bleedin' comedian today Jake.:)

But if you mean a GSXR 1100, Yes it will fit, the external dimensions of all the oil cooled motors are the same, b12 and 1100 gsxr and power screen motors drop strainght in.. 600/750's are slightly differant but still fit...

with the correct rubbers any carbs will fit as well:tu

Sorry I didn't realise how ambiguous it was until I read it myself.. 

I've got a mate whose got a mate whose got a rash, no sorry a late GSXR1100 motor, that I thought might make a better starting point for a high comp road engine. At least starting with decent power adding big bore and Cams and later head work. 

Might make the project go with a bang. 

Gonna go and see the lump 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, clivegto said:

Best advantage in the real world of the oil cooled 1100 to the 1200 is the cams. Me I would go with the 1200 there newer. 

If I recall the Bandit motor also has the double-bearing on the output shaft, which could make a bit of a difference if shooting for high HP.

I think the "best" motor is a combination of parts from various different ages of GSXR 750, 1100 and Bandit 1200 lol.

1200 cases, gearbox and barrels, 750 Dot Head and Cams, 1052 Clutch and Cam Cover, 1127 Crankshaft :D:D

Edited by Devilman
25 minutes ago, wraith said:

The bandit heads are better for flow and being ported

Not sure that is true when compared to the dot head, it has a different shaped port floor that gives a different angle onto the back of the valve?
Bandit may be better for port work though, no idea on that:/

I vaguely seem to recall something about the bandit cam cover not being inter-changeable with the 1052 / 1127 motors, although that was maybe only due to the different camchain guide rather than any physical reason it wouldn't fit ontop of the head?

Edited by Devilman
1 minute ago, Devilman said:

Not sure that is true when compared to the dot head, it has a different shaped port floor that gives a different angle onto the back of the valve?
Bandit may be better for port work though, no idea on that:/

Sorry ment for being flowed/ported over the gsxr1100 heads. ;)

If you're putting hi comp pistons in no need for a dot head.

• Like 1

1127 gsxr motor is better all day long. The M has the double row bear out put shaft I believe.

Gsxr motors are better made, lots of detail differences to make the internals lighter and stronger. Gearboxes seam far more robust on the gsxr motors.

I'd always start with a gsxr motor personally, given a choice.

• Like 1
On 10/9/2022 at 11:13 AM, dupersunc said:

1127 gsxr motor is better all day long. The M has the double row bear out put shaft I believe.

Gsxr motors are better made, lots of detail differences to make the internals lighter and stronger. Gearboxes seam far more robust on the gsxr motors.

I'd always start with a gsxr motor personally, given a choice.

Almost everything in an 1100M/N gearbox is identical to that inside a Bandit 1200 gearbox, so not sure why you're seeing greater "robustness" from the GSXRs?  Could it just be because Bandit 1200's get abused more in 2nd gear (wheelies) ? 

1 hour ago, wraith said:

Like all things tuning wise, every one/tuner has there own opinion :S

To a point yes this is true, though some things are objectively better than others :) I think most people would agree on the early (non-diaphragm) clutch for example :)

Agree with @clivegto though, if you want quick easy 150+hp, Turbo does it every time :D

• Like 1