Gsx1100 to bandit wheels / brakes etc

smirk

Evening.

It's been bleeding years since I've been here! But hello again!

Just starting a new winter project on an 81 gsx1100. I don't want much - better forks - braking & tyre choice.

I'm looking at 12oo bandit front end & 600 bandit rear as I don't want chain run issues.

Being a lazy sod & a dinosaur, anyone done the same & can give me advice & a shopping & machining list... it would be much appreciated.  I want to keep it close to original looking & low cost as I'm out of bike building fund this year!

Cheers in advance.

• Like 1

as wraith said a stem change on the yokes,  if you use a B6 rear wheel you will have to machine the sprocket carrier down some, but you will have to offset the front sprocket a bit to get the chain straight. what swinger will you use ?  you will have to change the calliper hanger and possibly the calliper as well.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, smirk said:

Cheers for that. Rear swinger? I have no idea yet.. bandit 6 or 12 with shock lugs welded on.? Or is there a simpler (cheaper)  option?

Also is the stem swap a simple press out press in? Or is it a bush to be made?

you can use the OEM aluminium swinger or a B12 one, dont use a B6 arm their not as stiff.  you can press out your gsx stem and use it in the bandit yoke. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, smirk said:

That's great... I wanted to use the original swinger if possible with a 600 wheel. Other than spacing is there ant great issues with fitting the bandit rear calliper etc?

Many thanks.

if you are using the OEM swinger then you will only get the B6 wheel in with a 150 tyre, the B12 wheel/tyre is too wide.  you will need to use a bandit calliper hanger so it matches the bandit disc, but because the torque arm is on top you will need a GS 500 calliper as they are top mounted.  :tu 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 11:32 AM, TonyGee said:

if you are using the OEM swinger then you will only get the B6 wheel in with a 150 tyre, the B12 wheel/tyre is too wide.  you will need to use a bandit calliper hanger so it matches the bandit disc, but because the torque arm is on top you will need a GS 500 calliper as they are top mounted.  :tu 

I run a 170 on a 600 SRAD wheel in the stock arm - with a 170 tyre......its piggin' close with a new chain , but OK once its done a few hundred miles 

IMAG0259.jpg

2 hours ago, clairetoo said:

I run a 170 on a 600 SRAD wheel in the stock arm - with a 170 tyre......its piggin' close with a new chain , but OK once its done a few hundred miles 

IMAG0259.jpg

that doesn't look like a standard GSX1100ET swingarm in your pic !!!!!!!   

when I fitted a B6 wheel with a 150 tyre into an ET swinger the edge of the tyre was up tight against it when the wheel was pushed right forward, but with a slightly longer chain the wheel sat further back and had enough clearance.  and im sure a B12 wheel with a 180 tyre would of rubbed against the swinger.