Turbo Myths

On 10/21/2022 at 8:01 AM, Joseph said:

Also, maybe everyone knows this page, but i found this the other day, which is on topic of this topic :

http://www.spartgsxrspecials.com/turbo%20do%20and%20dont.htm

Seems interesting for info ?

Thats off alan page. pretty sure he cut and pasted that off a mate on a yank site given some of the terminology.

He runs a turbo gsx1300. you'd know it if you'd seen it

Mark

This will probably be controversial, but the idea that you have to spend a lot of money to go fast. My car makes ~800whp with about $5,000 in parts ($3,000 of which is in the transmission), and my Bandit ran 13psi on a $500 turbo kit and a $1,000 fuel injection conversion. Both of them have been phenomenally reliable for being modified vehicles, cheap parts notwithstanding. The standard triangle of "cheap, fast, or reliable, pick two" can be broken by someone who knows what they're doing. Reliability is rarely down to the parts chosen (to a degree), and more often about who designs it and puts it together. I've seen $4,000 fuel systems leak and break constantly, and I've seen $1,000 fuel systems last for years without an issue. Same with turbo kits, same with engine swaps, same with just about everything. Cheap != unreliable, expensive != reliable, expensive != good, cheap != bad. 

Edited by rider384
On 11/4/2022 at 9:08 PM, Gpz1100_Convert said:

Thats off alan page. pretty sure he cut and pasted that off a mate on a yank site given some of the terminology.

He runs a turbo gsx1300. you'd know it if you'd seen it

Mark

He,s not updated the site for a long time he runs a facebook group page now ..i,ve seen his bike a few times its a bit tarts handbag for me but a very nice bike all the same :tu

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

Which was quicker out the hole Nitrous or Turbo...

now with the advent of very clever electronics the Turbo has caught up :v    

Not so much just clever electronics which are now available to both turbo and nitrous installs but clutch and chassis too. I think if I was doing 1/8th mile grudge racing i'd choose Nitrous every time - nothing IMO, hits as well as gas! But over a 1/4, the turbo's top end wins 99% of the time :tu

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Gixer1460 said:

Not so much just clever electronics which are now available to both turbo and nitrous installs but clutch and chassis too. I think if I was doing 1/8th mile grudge racing i'd choose Nitrous every time - nothing IMO, hits as well as gas! But over a 1/4, the turbo's top end wins 99% of the time :tu

Absolutely i was chatting with a TF jockey a few weeks ago at the pod....he previously rode a nitrous bike which he said was on par with the TF bike out the hole :tu 

Yes if you watch the Grudge stuff on net ...big move back to nitrous on very expensive new gen motors :pimp:

On 11/6/2022 at 2:24 AM, rider384 said:

This will probably be controversial, but the idea that you have to spend a lot of money to go fast. My car makes ~800whp with about $5,000 in parts ($3,000 of which is in the transmission), and my Bandit ran 13psi on a $500 turbo kit and a $1,000 fuel injection conversion. Both of them have been phenomenally reliable for being modified vehicles, cheap parts notwithstanding. The standard triangle of "cheap, fast, or reliable, pick two" can be broken by someone who knows what they're doing. Reliability is rarely down to the parts chosen (to a degree), and more often about who designs it and puts it together. I've seen $4,000 fuel systems leak and break constantly, and I've seen $1,000 fuel systems last for years without an issue. Same with turbo kits, same with engine swaps, same with just about everything. Cheap != unreliable, expensive != reliable, expensive != good, cheap != bad. 

I mostly agree with this. You can get pretty impressive results relatively cheaply if you know what you are doing. And on the other hand all the most expensive stuff won't help if you don't. Many stock parts on our bikes are actually incredibly good and strong compared to aftermarket stuff so if you plan your build wisely you can get really far without using too many expensive go-fast parts. Also in many cases you can do a trade between spending money or your own time and work. So if you are ready to spend more your time you can save significant amounts of money. Again assuming you know what you are doing...

But it's good to remember that there is also a flip side of this. There is always a limit on how far you can push this cost saving game without penalty. Some things just have to be done properly or they will bite your ass sooner than later. And that will cost some money in any case.