Alt drive gear swap

Jdeac

Just now, Jdeac said:

@Devilmanon the gear it self?? And is there a torque setting for the nut chaps

Yep on the gear itself, I just clamped it tight in a vice with a thick bit of hardwood on both sides to protect the teeth.

As for Torque... I'd have to check the manwell (:D) to be sure, but pretty sure I just set it to "German Torque" (Gutten Tight) :P

1 minute ago, Jdeac said:

Racing on the weekend so need it sorted. Had loads of issues recently think I've go all sorted. Apart from this which came up today.

Just checked through the Haynes GSXR, Bandit and a genuine Suzuki 600 Bandit manual for the Torque settings..

GSXR manual doesn't even list them (lol), the Haynes Bandit manual says 55-60nm (40-44lb/ft) and the genuine Suzuki bandit 600 manual also says 55nm (40lb/ft)

image.thumb.png.6f41d80462ed128efaa6ec2b5303cc1e.png

As for removal, the vice / wood method is even what they describe in the official Suzuki manual :-

Just be careful not to clamp onto / squeeze the "damper housing" below the gear (It's basically like a cush drive)

image.thumb.png.7511611ae1b6ebb82c7d8d5fa91d4a86.png

11 minutes ago, Jdeac said:

On a side note. What should the voltage be showing on the red feed to starter solenoid. Bike running alternator disconnected?? 

If you're talking about the heavy feed to the solenoid (the "switched" feed to the starter, rather than the control feed) , I would expect it to be at , or very close to battery voltage. (within 0.1 or 0.2v at most)

Edited by Devilman
1 hour ago, Jdeac said:

@Devilmanthe feed cable to the positive side of the starter solenoid from the alternator.

Yeh should see the same or within 0.1-0.2v of battery voltage.  It's just done that way as there is no real need to run a heavy cable all the way back to the battery from the alternator, as well as having one coming from it to the starter. The alternator is in effect charging the battery back along the heavy feed wire to the starter solenoid.