Oil cooled head gasket re use ?

wraith

42 minutes ago, jonny1bump said:

I personally just wouldn't, unless at track or something and no choice. If you got old school copper and piano wire you reuse with adhesive like gascrinch or  loctite etc, recently I regretted that decision too.

I've always got new ones but with the price of them and if it was the case that re using them was well tryed and tested.

57 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

8C2EF704-50C7-43FE-B14B-F7E63388A92C.thumb.jpeg.f3a0a82f56abb69c5632a25d1a580b18.jpegYup done it loads of times, not on my high comp engines but standard ones no problem.

as long as the gaskets undamaged and very clean and degreased, 5 coats of Halfords primer each side and off you go..

no guarantees but I’ve not had one leak yet:tu

image.thumb.jpeg.da3d159d5408e79c9bd741eaf06db472.jpegbase gaskets asimage.thumb.jpeg.36e3de2ecac8fe1cb1b73d94849842d7.jpeg

Thanks (y)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 9:49 PM, fatblokeonbandit said:

8C2EF704-50C7-43FE-B14B-F7E63388A92C.thumb.jpeg.f3a0a82f56abb69c5632a25d1a580b18.jpegYup done it loads of times, not on my high comp engines but standard ones no problem.

as long as the gaskets undamaged and very clean and degreased, 5 coats of Halfords primer each side and off you go..

no guarantees but I’ve not had one leak yet:tu

image.thumb.jpeg.da3d159d5408e79c9bd741eaf06db472.jpegbase gaskets asimage.thumb.jpeg.36e3de2ecac8fe1cb1b73d94849842d7.jpeg

Ahhh you done it on base gasket not head. 

On 9/16/2022 at 4:06 AM, george 1100 said:

The MLS ones can be pulled apart by removing rivets, cleaned, light copper spray, rivet back together and off you go

Can you explain furthermore about the riveting ?

I've never seen the MLS gasket disassembled, repainted ?, and re-riveted.

What rivets do you use ?

And what paint ?

I've built a few engines over the years, but never re-used a head gasket so far.

I know they have a few layers, and are held together with these pressed rings(rivets, eyelets etc).

But i have never seen these rivets for sale, neither any sort of reconditioning spray paint, so i'm curious to find out about it.it's never too late to learn though

1 hour ago, FJD said:

But i have never seen these rivets for sale, neither any sort of reconditioning spray paint, so i'm curious to find out about it.it's never too late to learn though

Well, it isn't something that the gasket manufacturers assume you to do. So you won't find reconditioning kits for your gasket :P

The rivets aren't that critical since they are needed only for holding the sandwich together while you assemble the engine. When I have done this I have been able to re-use old rivets that I have drilled open. Alternatively you can get creative and use pop rivets, suitable copper wire or something like that. For sealing I have used Permatex copper spray.

Disassembly of MLS gaskets is something that was fairly common in production racing to gain more compression where the rules did not allow machining. Layers were removed to reduce gasket thickness & recoated with spray silicon or even just normal acrylic paint. 

Edited by coombehouse
  • Like 1