Piston clearence and ring end gap Busa pistons/Bandit turbo

FJD

10 hours ago, FJD said:

What you guys use for clearence bore/piston ?

Want to get a set of barrels bored out, was thinking 0.06mm ?

Also, does anyone know compression ratio on otherwise stock Bandit with Busa pistons ?

0.06mm clearance is ok. I have 0.05mm piston to bore clearance on my supercharged EFE. It have Busa pistons in resleeved EFE cylinder block. It is using E85 fuel and that´s why slightly tighter fit. Piston ring end gap is also important to set about 0.40mm or more. It´s better suffer a little pressure leak than full disaster.

• Like 2
  • FJD changed the title to Piston clearence and ring end gap Busa pistons/Bandit turbo

So, my Bandit 1157 block is now bored to accept the used Haybusa GSX-R 1300 pistons.

Was a challenge for the machine shop, the sleeves came loose and needed to be pressed out, glued in again.

Now i´m scratching my head for piston ring end gaps of the standard Suzuki piston rings that came with the pistons (they are used, but look OK to me).

All 4 pistons measured identical, also all ring end gaps on top and 2nd ring i measured in the bore are 0,25mm.

As this engine will get boosted, i was wandering if that is OK or if i need more end gap (@Blower1: are you referring to Std Busa pistons and rings, or aftermarket ?)

Wiseco and JE have more gap, but as this is a OEM piston and ring, i don´t know what to do right now.

Edited by FJD
On 11/19/2022 at 7:19 AM, Reinhoud said:

Anyone here who actually measured the bores after getting it back from the machine shop? If yes, how accurate was it?

well....if pistons were supplied with the block and customer supplied clearences for bore job....the shop doing the job usually gives you what you ask for . Double checking the final size should be done at the shop before you pay ...once you leave you are on your own .