Bandit 150rwbhp Enough?

BikeJake

On 9/16/2022 at 9:27 PM, Tony Nitrous said:

My neighbour tutors.  We’ve talked about going for a ride. 

Considering he’s beat Rossi / Biaggi etc on a good day and won a few MotoGP’s I guess he’d be OK for a few tips. God knows what he’d make of me on one of my bike though! 

OK, I'll ask the obvious question: who is your neighbour? :)

57 minutes ago, bluedog59 said:

Ha,ha, love it.

You can buy all the bhp you want but you can't buy talent.

Lose on pub braggin rights too: Q: what have you done to your bike? A: (fancy modern bike) - "it has a loud can and has been flashed." A: 30 year old OSS machine - "sit down, this is going to take some time."

• Like 1
Just now, Dezza said:

Lose on pub braggin rights too: Q: what have you done to your bike? A: (fancy modern bike) - "it has a loud can and has been flashed." A: 30 year old OSS machine - "sit down, this is going to take some time."

To be fair my mates v4r is firmly in the sit down this will take some time category....the cost is in the is there a paramedic on stand by category. Lovely thing though.

I don’t judge my bikes by lap times, horsepower, pub bragging or the attention they get.

Mine are rated by the smiles they put on my face.

A scabby old Bandit with Renthals, a big bore 1980 ET, an old Slabbie 11, a supercharged H2 or Gen-3 Busa all get my attention and all put a huge grin on my face, old or new, modded or stock.

Im a huge fan of Old Skool bikes but I don’t buy into the Practical Piss and Werthers Luddite mantra that new bikes are crap, bland or unusable.  Old bikes and new bikes offer something different. You can appreciate them both. 

Edited by Tony Nitrous
  • Like 4
21 hours ago, Tony Nitrous said:

I don’t judge my bikes by lap times, horsepower, pub bragging or the attention they get.

Mine are rated by the smiles they put on my face.

A scabby old Bandit with Renthals, a big bore 1980 ET, an old Slabbie 11, a supercharged H2 or Gen-3 Busa all get my attention and all put a huge grin on my face, old or new, modded or stock.

Im a huge fan of Old Skool bikes but I don’t buy into the Practical Piss and Werthers Luddite mantra that they are crap, bland or unusable.  Old bikes and new bikes offer something different. You can appreciate them both. 

That's very true, it's the smiles per hour that count.

My point was that more bhp is often not the answer. Most bikes have more than enough for the chassis and 99% of us have to face the fact that we are the weakest link in the equation. 

• Like 3

I gotta be honest.... I am really missing my Superbike..... The holy sh&t thafs rapid factor is..... missing... What I do enjoy... The smell of fuel, and exhaust, raw mechanical visceral sensation reminds me of my GSs my Zs etc. From the 80s.....

I am stuck now.... Do I spent three grand in search of 150 bhp... Or just get another bike. 

35 minutes ago, BikeJake said:

I gotta be honest.... I am really missing my Superbike..... The holy sh&t thafs rapid factor is..... missing... What I do enjoy... The smell of fuel, and exhaust, raw mechanical visceral sensation reminds me of my GSs my Zs etc. From the 80s.....

I am stuck now.... Do I spent three grand in search of 150 bhp... Or just get another bike. 

There's some well  priced  stuff appearing for sale again now, seen a few sub £2k il4 1000cc bike in the last few weeks.   I love my oil boilers, I've got 2 that 150+bhp, and 2 130+bhp plus 2 Italian vtwins.

But if you want go fast with no hassle, a 2005> on zx10r (paid £2500 for mine 18months ago) Gsxr1000, R1. CBR1000rr  can't be beat.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, dupersunc said:

There's some well  priced  stuff appearing for sale again now, seen a few sub £2k il4 1000cc bike in the last few weeks.   I love my oil boilers, I've got 2 that 150+bhp, and 2 130+bhp plus 2 Italian vtwins.

But if you want go fast with no hassle, a 2005> on zx10r (paid £2500 for mine 18months ago) Gsxr1000, R1. CBR1000rr  can't be beat.

Didn't we have an engine swap? I mean later GSXR1100 

On 9/20/2022 at 9:23 PM, BikeJake said:

It's just my approach obviously, but I tend to start with what I want from a bike, and most importantly which aspects I'll compromise on, and go from there. Sounds simple but when you get into it the options get narrowed down pretty quickly.

If you want to hoon around on a quick tight handling bike then you'll never be able to build anything comparable for much less than double the 'off the shelf' price.

If you want something just how you want it, like no one else (or very very few) owns with compromises only where you decide then you'll have to build it.

So for me at the moment for example, pure speed and Tron level handling are less important than fistfulls of torque with good handling and '80s looks. Which means rolling on the throttle rather than dropping one or two cogs, predictable turn in, stable in a corner but still able to brake fairly late going in. I can't buy that off the shelf so I have to build it.

The other thing to consider is which do you want to do most of :- riding on the road (buy one), or bankrupting yourself in the workshop (build one)? o.OxD

• Like 1
On 9/20/2022 at 10:05 PM, dupersunc said:

Or just do as @dupersuncand @Tony Nitrousand probably a lot of us on here has and get a couple in the garage and when you open the garage door take out whichever takes your fancy !!

• Like 3