Bandit 150rwbhp Enough?

BikeJake

20 hours ago, Duckndive said:

Most Modern 1000s have in excess of 170bhp the BMW being over 200 reputedly out the box...

Yes the have fantastic handling and brakes  but you can still tie yourself in knots just the same as on a 145Bhp dinosaur :S 

Very much this ^ 

I recently sold a supercharged H2 and have a Gen-3 Busa. I love new bikes but they don’t offer the same as Old Skool bikes. I’m not a Piss and Werthers bore, I like old and new, but you can have a real challenging ride and a heap of fun without the horsepower new bikes have. You work harder but it’s very rewarding. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I don't do 'roundy, roundy' stuff and I know everyone has different abilities but the first minute of that was embarrassing - getting passed inside, outside - everyside. They are the sort of riders as described by @bluedog59 above, I think?

Or could it have been the talent, skill and good looks of the Bandit rider that made it look so easyB|:tu:D

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

They're all having fun so who cares how fast they are.

That's a fair point. The speed ( or lack of ) is not the actual problem, it's when they are erratic and unpredictable that they become a danger to themselves and others.  There are instructors available at trackdays and there is no shame whatsoever in getting one of them to show you round for a few laps.

1 hour ago, bluedog59 said:

That's a fair point. The speed ( or lack of ) is not the actual problem, it's when they are erratic and unpredictable that they become a danger to themselves and others.  There are instructors available at trackdays and there is no shame whatsoever in getting one of them to show you round for a few laps.

You ever used one of the free "instructors":DO.o

6 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

You ever used one of the free "instructors":DO.o

All I can say to that is, from my experience working at a race school, they were very good.  I gather from your comment that some places sadly may not have the same standards. On the other hand, following somebody who actually knows their way round can't be a bad thing.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, bluedog59 said:

All I can say to that is, from my experience working at a race school, they were very good.  I gather from your comment that some places sadly may not have the same standards. On the other hand, following somebody who actually knows their way round can't be a bad thing.

My neighbour tutors.  We’ve talked about going for a ride. 

Considering he’s beat Rossi / Biaggi etc on a good day and won a few MotoGP’s I guess he’d be OK for a few tips. God knows what he’d make of me on one of my bike though! 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Tony Nitrous said:

My neighbour tutors.  We’ve talked about going for a ride. 

Considering he’s beat Rossi / Biaggi etc on a good day and won a few MotoGP’s I guess he’d be OK for a few tips. God knows what he’d make of me on one of my bike though! 

Do it, do it, do it !!!  I've ridden with an ex GP rider and the stuff you pick up without even realising it is amazing.

Don't worry about what he will think of your riding. One thing I have found is that people who really can do are always open to passing on their  knowledge, those that just think they're good get cagey and reluctant.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, bluedog59 said:

Yean, my comment was a little unfair, but most at the big operators are free for a reason. 

Then again I've a couple of mates who intruct at classic bike track days, who are both great instructors but they can't instruct everyone on the day, and boy do you see some interesting riding on those days.

4 hours ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

And to get back to the original question, YES, 150 hp is enough to enjoy yourself:):)

To add my 'two pennies worth' of wisdom......

I have a GSXR400 that maybe has something approaching 60 bhp and to ride that properly and make good progress always makes me smile like a b*stard !! I love keeping the motor in the fun zone and just slinging it in to corners. Proper , proper fun. All I'm trying to say is that you don't always need big horse power to get the grin factor.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, yantosh said:

how much of the 200bhp of a modern 200bhp bike does the computer ever let you use anway ? 

200 when they are flashed and derestricted. 

My H2 used to back the butterfly’s off at high revs, 100% at the grip gave something like 12% at the throttle body’s at high revs, (why they gain 40+hp with a flash). My Gen-3 won’t give full throttle at lower revs but does higher up untill flashed. Stock new bikes are quite tame, but easy to wake up. The amount of tech makes 200 ponys very useable if somewhat less challenging. 

17 minutes ago, yantosh said:

how much of the 200bhp of a modern 200bhp bike does the computer ever let you use anway ? 

All of it. Not in the first 2 gears granted, but once you are upright and pinned it's all there if you want it.

A mate has a v4r track bike with extras that's making a real 235bhp. It's fucking mental makes everything else look like it's going backwards on the straights.  Still only 0.2 quicker than my 130bhp slabby round Jerez  though.:D

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

All of it. Not in the first 2 gears granted, but once you are upright and pinned it's all there if you want it.

A mate has a v4r track bike with extras that's making a real 235bhp. It's fucking mental makes everything else look like it's going backwards on the straights.  Still only 0.2 quicker than my 130bhp slabby round Jerez  though.:D

Ha,ha, love it.

You can buy all the bhp you want but you can't buy talent.

• Like 1