Bandit 150rwbhp Enough?

BikeJake

I am starting to put the bits together for my project. Exhaust, pistons, engineering, cams etc.... 

I am aiming for 150 at the wheel, Roger Upperton said the collection of bits I'm assembling should do the trick... 

Fair old wallop of dosh to rely on my spannering skills, but I've rebuilt a good few jap fours over the years so I don't forsee an issue with that. 

I'm just worried that... I'll always feel is lacking.. So used to Gixxers and late Fireblades, I love thr riding style and the feel of the bike is reminiscent of my old bikes I had when a younger man.. 

Had anyone built anything like this and been satisfied with the grunt? 

A M8 who is the wrong side of 60 and doesn't get to ride much, built a '96 Blandit, 1216 kit, GSXR lightened crank and clutch, reworked head, std valves & cams, RS36's and a Ackro Carbon system and it makes 152whp. He rode it last week after messing with the throttle return and apparently it was back to what it used to be, lifting the front on demand and quick enough that is starting to show deficiencies in the Hyperpro front and the Ohlins equipped aftermarket back end. He was 'cheshire cat' type grinning as he told me about it LOL! A Blandit is never going to be a GSXR or a Blade but they can be equally entertaining from his experience I think?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Yes... as long as you fix the supenders as well:tu

149.8RWHP

CKOPhOa.jpg

First thing I did matey. say what now!? shock, pregressive front spring and braced rear arm coming next. All before I start the engine...

Probably ride it and make a decision on upsidedowners and uprated calipers. 

Mind if I ask how your CVs get on wjtb the filters and what filters they are? 

CVs and airbox removal haven't gone so well for me lol

• Like 1

1216 high comp pistons,  SUZ1 cams, dynojetted stock carbs, decent headers and can,15/47 gearing.  148rwhp.

you don’t have to spend a fortune to get them going well.

plenty fast enough, grin inducing coming out of bends and junctions,  upgrade fork internals, rear shock, and look after your brakes.  Good fun on the road, even with the flexible frame .

16AE2A1F-4CE9-43C7-93B0-A32DB525D1BC.jpeg

• Like 5
11 hours ago, BikeJake said:

First thing I did matey. say what now!? shock, pregressive front spring and braced rear arm coming next. All before I start the engine...

Probably ride it and make a decision on upsidedowners and uprated calipers. 

Mind if I ask how your CVs get on wjtb the filters and what filters they are? 

CVs and airbox removal haven't gone so well for me lol

When I first built the engine 12 years ago, I had 40 mm mikky roonies on it and it made 152 after setting up on a dyno, but they were a pain, tick over was never stable and they were always going out of balance!!

I fitted the standard carbs with Ramair filters And Holeshot racing carb kit from Dale Walker, they have been spot on ever since,

all I’ve done to the engine since are oil changes, clean carbs a couple of times, tappets and a new clutch..

Still pulls like a train and able to hold its own on track days :tu

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

When I first built the engine 12 years ago, I had 40 mm mikky roonies on it and it made 152 after setting up on a dyno, but they were a pain, tick over was never stable and they were always going out of balance!!

I fitted the standard carbs with Ramair filters And Holeshot racing carb kit from Dale Walker, they have been spot on ever since,

all I’ve done to the engine since are oil changes, clean carbs a couple of times, tappets and a new clutch..

That is promising 

Which big bore did you use? 

On 9/12/2022 at 9:29 AM, fatblokeonbandit said:

Just read this @fatblokeonbandit(y)

168hp on a somewhat optimistic dyno.

Carbon can, air filter, upgraded clutch springs and new Suzuki plates… and 60hp worth of nitrous! Battery in tail with an extension made from 2 car starter motor leads, fuel pump and solenoids in the battery box, foggers in the inlets, micro switch on the carbs so it only triggered on full throttle when armed and fired, switch on the bars that turned the horn button into the nitrous bottle, 2.5lb bottle mounted at the correct angle and within reach.

I went through a LOT of gas in short bursts.

OEM and untouched factory tyres, brakes, suspension etc kept life quite entertaining. 

C704AB53-B74C-4FA1-B5CA-6AD4E4BC0914.jpeg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Duckndive said:

Most Modern 1000s have in excess of 170bhp the BMW being over 200 reputedly out the box...

Yes the have fantastic handling and brakes  but you can still tie yourself in knots just the same as on a 145Bhp dinosaur :S 

And you have ride a dinosaur, instead of just being a board a fast well handling modern bike :D

• Like 1

The problem with modern sportsbikes is they so far ahead of 99% of their riders that it's very easy to get a long way into a dangerous situation without realising it and no amount of ABS, traction control or whatever is going to save you at that point. 

Then again, most of them have got no idea anyway. They come flying past on the straight, brake waaaaay too early then potter round the corner on a crap line while hanging off like a demented chimp and thinking they could beat that Valentino Marquez bloke.

• Like 5