91 750M Carb Issues

ChrisR1

So I have finished fully restoring a 91 750 and it has some carb issues leaving me not sure where to go. 

I gave it to a mechanic who knows his way around old bikes to get it running before I got it on historic rego. He did but advised the carbs are not in great condition (he had to pull them apart to get it running and seems it took a lot of fiddling - note engine has been fully rebuilt). 

Anyway it ran OK for a while - a bit sketchy at low rpm but above that great. Today I go to start it and after a lot of coaxing it started. I turned it off, got ready to ride and then it just won’t start. Despite lots of cranking, playing with choke it just won’t go - but did provide some very loud bangs out the exhaust a few seconds after ceasing to crank it… this is a new one to me.

I think the carbs may be beyond saving (and powerjet ones seem non-existent 2nd hand) so am thinking about a set of Mikuni Flatslides. Can anyone provide any experience with them? Are they OK for a street bike with OEM exhaust? Hard to set up? Which size?

Or would a set of OEM carbs off another model be a better idea and if so which ones?

I really want this bike done but it’s starting to do my head in! Just want a solution. 

On 9/14/2022 at 2:30 AM, gsxwill said:

If you have access to a set of carbs that you know are good stick them on just to get it running, that way you can can rule out anything else, like timing!!! (y)

Timing is a fair question but it was actually checked when the mechanic got it running for me (it was a tooth out). So this should be OK, and I can’t see how it would have  jumped again but will get it looked at again to be sure. 

Sadly no access to another set of carbs so maybe just need to pull the trigger on flat slides. 

• 2 weeks later...