Et regulator/rectifier

Hilko

Hello again. I know I’ve seen many comments about them but cannot find what I’m looking for. 
I’ve replaced my battery recently and checked the voltage at the starter relay with lights on etc but it doesn’t go much above 12.8-13v. I assume this is a regulator/rectifier fault. Where can I get a replacement that fits and I also seem to remember reading something about a mod to the wiring? 

Looks like its not charging !!!!  could be the reg/rec or the geny ?  you have 3 wires coming from the geny, two wires go to the reg/rec and the other goes up to the light switch. you need to bypass the light switch wire and go straight to the reg/rec with all 3 wires.  

• Like 1

The light switch thing was Suzuki's attempt to ensure the headlight got max volts when on. When off it just overheated the R/R as that voltage not used had to be dumped as heat!

Easy conversion is buy any decent modern R/R - they'll usually have 3 yellow wires, a Red and a Black (or green if its from an 'onda) Connect the yellows to the three wires out of the ET generator, connect the Red to battery and Black / Green to ground or battery - (makes no difference. As the light sw. no longer gets power from the generator, take the wire that did supply it and connect to an Ignition Switched Live so it only gets 12v when Ign is on. Adding an in-line fuse to this wire would be good idea - 10A would be sufficient.

• Like 3

In Poland we have to have lights on all the time so I shouldn’t have the overheating problem?

When you say any decent modern rectifier would that involve some jiggery pokery when mounting it or do you know of any that will mount directly with no mods?

21 minutes ago, Hilko said:

Can I do the suggested mod with the existing reg/rec as I had it checked and it’s fine. 

Yes but it's a good idea to renew the connections on the wiring from the generator to the RR whilst you do so. Going further means removing the engine cover on the left side and first draining the oil.

Edited by Dezza

Turns out my problem was old and rusty/dirty electrical connections. Found loads and replaces all over the bike. Done the ref/rec mod as suggested and the old girl is now charging like the light brigade! Hopefully she’ll last longer though. 
thanks for all the suggestions and assistance. 

• Like 2